MASON, Ohio - The fourth-seeded George Washington Colonials (13-12) won its second straight A-10 Championship on Sunday, defeating second-seeded VCU (16-13), 4-2 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
GW got off to a quick start, winning the doubles point on court two and one. Julius Tverijonas and Danil Zelenkov first defeated Catalin Fifea andWilder Pimentel, 8-5, before Francisco Dias and Chris Fletcher took an 8-3 decision over Joseph Cohen and Daryl Monfils at top doubles.
After dropping the doubles point, VCU evened the match behind Joseph Cohen on court four, who rattled off six straight games in the second set to win 6-0, 6-2. The Rams would then take a 2-1 match lead on court three as Catalin Fifea won the tiebreak in set one, and the second set, 6-2.
GW's Danil Zelenkov knotted the match back at 2-2, winning sets one and three over Daryl Monfils (7-5, 4-6, 6-3). After winning set one, 6-2, Cahit Kapukiran and Toni Batlle fought to a 12-10 tiebreak in set two, going in favor of GW.
The Colonials clinched the match behind a three-set effort at top singles behind Francisco Dias, winning 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
GW and VCU have met in the A-10 championship finals the last three years, with the Colonials winning the title in 2014 and 2015.
#4 GEORGE WASHINGTON DEF. #2 VCU, 4-2
1. Francisco Dias (GW) def. Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2. Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Daryl Monfils (VCU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
3. Catalin Fifea (VCU) def. Chris Fletcher (GW) 7-3(3), 6-2
4. Joseph Cohen (VCU) def. Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW) 6-0, 6-2
5. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) vs. Julius Tverijonas (GW) 6-1, 3-6, 0-1, DNF
6. Cahit Kapukiran (GW) def. Toni Batlle (VCU) 6-2, 7-6(10)
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 6, 1
1. Francisco Dias/Chris Fletcher def. (GW) Joseph Cohen/Daryl Monfils (VCU) 8-3
2. Julius Tverijonas/Danil Zelenkov def. (GW) Catalin Fifea/Wilder Pimentel (VCU) 8-5
3. Cahit Kapukiran/Chris Reynolds (GW) vs. Michal Voscek/Louis Ishizaka (VCU) 7-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1