Colonials Clinch Third Straight Title in 4-3 Thriller Against VCU
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The second-seeded George Washington Colonials won their third straight A-10 Championship on Sunday, defeating top-seeded VCU, 4-3, in a thrilling match.
GW struck first at top doubles, as Julius Tverijonas and Danil Zelenkov defeated Vitor Lima and Daryl Monfils, 6-3. Following shortly after, Michal Voscek and Catalin Fifea controlled throughout, taking a 6-2 decision over Chris Fletcher and Fernando Sala, to even the score. On court two, Cahit Kapukiran and Chris Reynolds battled back to beat Arvid Noren and Louis Ishizaka, 7-5, to take the crucial doubles point
The Colonials opened singles play with wins in the first sets on courts one, two and three, while the Rams earned first set victories on courts four, five and six.
GW extended their match lead, 2-0, when Reynolds took a 6-4 second set over Monfils. After dropping the first two games, Tverijonas battled back against Voscek to win the second set, 6-4, making it 3-0 for the Colonials.
The Rams would earn its first point on court six, as Ishizaka took down Christos Hadjigeorgiou, 6-2, 6-2.
On court five, GW's Kapukiran forced a third set, winning 6-1 in the second, while Lima forced the final set on court two against Zelenkov.
Down 5-0 in the third set, Zelenkov rattled off four straight games, but eventually fell, 6-4, to Lima, cutting GW's lead to one.
With just courts four and five remaining, VCU's Catalin Fifea, down in the second set, rallied back to win the tiebreak, 8-6, and the Rams' third straight point, evening the score at 3-3.
With the Championship on the line, Kapukiran came out strong in the third set, leading 4-1 early. The senior would clinch the match (1-6, 6-1, 6-2) and the team victory, 4-3 for the Colonials.
This is the fifth A-10 Championship for GW in the past six seasons. With the win, GW earns the Atlantic 10's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship. The NCAA Selection Show will be held on Tuesday, May 3, at 5:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
#2 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #1 VCU
1. Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Vitor Lima (VCU) def. Danil Zelenkov (GW) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Chris Reynolds (GW) def. Daryl Monfils (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Catalin Fifea (VCU) def. Chris Fletcher (GW) 6-2, 7-6(6)
5. Cahit Kapukiran (GW) def. Arvid Noren (VCU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Louis Ishizaka (VCU) def. Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 6, 2, 4, 5
1. Julius Tverijonas/Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Vitor Lima/Daryl Monfils (VCU), 6-3
2. Cahit Kapukiran/Chris Reynolds (GW) def. Arvid Noren/Louis Ishizaka (VCU), 7-5
3. Michal Voscek/Catalin Fifea (VCU) def. Chris Fletcher/Fernando Sala (GW), 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2