NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — Saint Joseph’s rowing’s Third Varsity 8 crew earned the Atlantic 10 Conference Boat of the Week award the league announced Thursday. The award, created this year, is selected by the conference office to recognize an outstanding performance in the weeks leading up to the A-10 Championship, which takes place on Saturday, May 5 at the Cooper River.
The Hawks defeated George Mason with a time of 7:05.40 on Friday at the George Washington Invitational, and then outdistanced both host GW and George Mason in Saturday's race, clocking in at 6:31.80. SJU won both events. SJU faced opposite conditions from Friday to Saturday - with warmth and a head wind on Friday and cold and a tailwind on Saturday.
The Saint Joseph’s 3V8 team is comprised of the following student-athletes:
- C - Sarah Vest, freshman, Arlington, Va.
- 8 - Fiona McKee, sophomore, Fairfield, Conn.
- 7 - Kate LaCasse, sophomore, Syracuse, N.Y.
- 6 - Stephanie Senatore, freshman, Whitehouse Station, N.J.
- 5 - Samantha Haines, junior, Glen Mills, Pa.
- 4 - Samantha O'Connell, sophomore, Hamilton, N.J.
- 3 - Alyssa Vanni, senior, Newtown, Pa.
- 2 - Jenna Koch, freshman, Potomac, Md.
- 1 - Teresa Crosby, freshman, Glen Mills, Pa.
Additionally the Atlantic 10 announced the second set of boat rankings ahead of the 2018 championship in the four championship events. Voted on by the coaches, there will be one more list of rankings released prior to the championship. The current rankings, which feature UMass as the top boat in the Varsity 8, the Second Varsity 8 and the Varsity 4, and Saint Joseph’s as the number one boat in the Third Varsity 8, can be found at Row2K.com.