VCU Wins Atlantic 10 Men's Championship with 4-1 Victory Over Dayton
ORLANDO, Fla. – Top-seeded VCU defeated third-seeded Dayton 4-1 to claim the Atlantic 10 Men’s Tennis Championship title on Sunday at the USTA National Campus. This is VCU’s second consecutive title.
VCU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead as they clinched the doubles point with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Philip Mobius and Ignacio Rivero Crespo claimed the first doubles victory for the Rams with their 6-2 win over Lorenzo Rollhauser and Steven Karl. The Flyers responded with a win of their own, to knot the doubles period at one when Carsten Fisher and Zach Berry were victorious on court No. 1 over Vitor Lima and Javier Amantegui (6-2). The Rams tandem of Inigo Torre Martin and Arvid Noren clinched the doubles point for VCU, dispatching Jordan Benjamin and Theo
In singles play, the Flyers evened the score at one when Fisher knocked off Lima in two sets by a score of 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot. Fisher’s victory was the only point the Flyers would score.
After Fisher’s victory, VCU reeled off three straight victories to claim the title. Rivero Crespo got the momentum going by claiming the No. 6 court and quickly turning away Will Harper in two sets with a 6-3, 6-2 win. On the No. 5 court, Torre Martin extended the Rams lead on court No. 5 with his 6-4, 6-2 victory over Dayton’s Karl.
Holding a 3-1 lead, the No. 4 matchup between Amantegui and
As the match concluded, Noren and Benjamin were deadlocked at one set apiece. Benjamin took the first set, 3-6, with Norentaking the second 6-1. Mobius took the first set over Berry, 6-4, while the second set was knotted at 5-5 when the match-clinching point was scored.
With the win, VCU secured the NCAA automatic qualifying bid to the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA selection show for men’s tennis is Tuesday, May 1 at 5:30 pm.
This is VCU’s third title in six years, since joining the league in 2012-2013.
#1 VCU def. #3 Dayton, 4-1
- Arvid Noren (VCU) vs. Jordan Benjamin (UD) 3-6, 6-1, DNF
- Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Vitor Lima (VCU) 6-3, 6-1
- Philip Mobius (VCU) vs. Zach Berry (UD) 6-4, 5-5, DNF
- Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Theo
Jener(UD) 6-2, 6-3
- Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. Steven Karl (UD) 6-4, 6-2
- Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Will Harper (UD) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 5, 4
- Carsten Fisher/Zach Berry (UD) def. Vitor Lima/Javier Amantegui (VCU) 6-2
- Inigo Torre Martin/Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Jordan Benjamin/Theo
- Philip Mobius/Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Lorenzo Rollhauser/Steven Karl (UD) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2