Atlantic 10 Student-Athletes, Teams have Record-Setting Academic Year in 2018-19
NEWPORT NEWS, VA – Atlantic 10 Conference student-athletes are exceptional
In June, the A-10 announced its Commissioner Honor Roll recipients, which included 3,290
And not to be outdone, a record 86 A-10 teams earned perfect Graduation Success Rate (GSR) scores and recognized by the NCAA in 2018. Davidson led
Additionally, eight A-10 student-athletes were named Academic All-Americans. The Atlantic 10 also had several student-athletes and
The A-10 was also recognized as just one of two Division I conferences to have all of its men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams honoredin June as Collegiate Swimming and Diving Scholar All-American teams, with grade point averages above 3.1.
- In tennis, an impressive 70 student-athletes and 17 teams were lauded by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA).
- The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) recognized five A-10 teams (Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason and La Salle) with its Team Academic Award, which is given to programs with a GPA of 3.3 or better.
- Six Atlantic 10 men's track & field teams and 11 women's teams earned U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association All-Academic Accolades for their athletic success and academic excellence, the organization announced Monday. In addition to the team awards, 20
student athletesfrom 10 institutions received individual all-academic awards . The American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) announced that Davidson and Fordham were awarded the 2018-19 ABCA Team Academic Excellence Award.
- Eight Atlantic 10 men’s golf student-athletes have been selected as All-America Scholars by the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA). The GCAA also recognized seven A-10 teams as All-Academic honorees. Davidson was selected for the GCAA President’s Special Recognition for having a team GPA of 3.5 or better. In addition to the Wildcats, George Mason, George Washington Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s and VCU all earned All-Academic status for having team GPAs of 3.0 or better
. Eight Atlantic 10 women's lacrosse teams were named 2019 Zag Sports Academic Honor Squads this week while 37 student athletesearned Academic Honor Roll Accolades. A-10 squads earning the honorinclude Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, George Washington, Massachusetts, Richmond, Saint Joseph's, and VCU.
- Finally, four Atlantic 10 men's basketball student-athletes have been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court. The Honors Court recognizes men’s collegiate basketball student-athletes who excelled in academics during the past season.
“Year in and year out, the student-athletes in the A-10 set new records in the classroom and continue to outperform most of their peers nationally,” states A-10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade. “Their success is a tribute to our member schools and the emphasis placed on academics by our presidents, athletic directors, coaches and staff.”
It’s no secret that the A-10 is comprised of some of the top academic institutions in the nation. In the 2019 US News and World Report College rankings, Davidson and Richmond ranked among the Top 25 of Best Liberal Arts Institutions. George Washington, Fordham and UMass are ranked in the top 100 of Best National Universities and among the top 80 Best Public Institutions. A-10 institutions are also at the forefront of Fulbright Scholarship opportunities, with 62 students earning the opportunity to study internationally this past year.
“The academic profile of our member institutions is well known and highly recognized in the academic world,” adds McGlade. “The fact that our student-athletes also perform at high levels on the playing fields and on the courts is a testimony to the type of young men and women our schools are attracting.”