CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Fifth-seeded Dayton advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2016 A-10 Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 decision over No. 12 La Salle, Thursday, at Boar's Head Sports Club.
Dayton got off to a fast start, earning the doubles point. At No. 3 doubles, Graham Reinbold and Kyle MacDonald did not concede a game, defeating Lane Bangis and Brian Guiduci, 6-0, before the pair of Andy Druffel and Bernardo Sanson clinched the point with a victory over Brian Balico and Liam Rodriguez, 6-2, on court two.
In singles play, the Flyers would grab a 3-0 lead with wins on courts five and six. Reinbold took straight sets (6-0, 6-0) against Guiduci at No. 6 singles, quickly followed by Lorenzo Rollhauser over Bangis (6-1, 6-0) on court five.
The match concluded with UD's Simon Jayaram defeating Rodriguez, 6-0, 6-2, on court four.
With the win, the Flyers will face No. 4 Davidson, who earned a first-round bye in the championship, Friday morning at 10 am. The teams met less than a month ago, with the Wildcats earning a 4-3 victory in Davidson.
#5 DAYTON def. #12 LA SALLE, 4-0
1. Jordan Benjamin (UD) vs. Brian Balico (LAS) 6-4, DNF
2. Zach Berry (UD) vs. Tomas Christian (LAS) 6-2, 3-1, DNF
3. Mark Robinson (LAS) vs. Bernardo Sanson (UD) 5-4, DNF
4. Simon Jayaram (UD) def. Liam Rodriguez (LAS) 6-0, 6-2
5. Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD) def. Lane Bangis (LAS) 6-1, 6-0
6. Graham Reinbold (UD) def. Brian Guiduci (LAS) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4
1. Zach Berry/Carsten Fisher (UD) vs. Mark Robinson/Tomas Christian (LAS) 5-3, DNF
2. Andy Druffel/Bernardo Sanson def. (UD) Brian Balico/Liam Rodriguez (LAS) 6-2
3. Graham Reinbold/Kyle MacDonald (UD) def. Lane Bangis/Brian Guiduci (LAS) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The eighth-seeded Patriots defeated ninth-seeded Saint Louis, 4-0, to advance to Friday's quarterfinals of the A-10 Men's Tennis Championship at Boar's Head Sports Club.
The Patriots took a 1-0 match lead with victories in the top two doubles flights. First, James Lange and Joe Hill defeated Juan Calero and John Nogalski, 6-3. The doubles point was clinched when Tanner Baine and Aaron Capitel earned a 6-2 decision over David Ferragut and Charlie Parry. Court three was unfinished, but was notched at 4-4 between Mason’s Daniel Gutierrez and Giuliano Buzoianu and Saint Louis’ Miguel Flores and Oscar Pachon.
Buzoianu would finish first for Mason, earning a 6-0, 6-4 decision against Flores at No. 6 singles. On court two, Lange won his first set 7-5, before dropping a second set to Calero, 6-2. Lange then bounced back with a 6-2 victory in the third set, to give the Patriots a 3-0 match lead.
Each of the remaining courts (1, 3, 5) went to third sets, including a pair of first-set tiebreakers on court three between Saint Louis' Nogalski and Mason's Hill, and court five between Gutierrez and Paarth Dodhiawala.
George Mason advances to face top-seeded VCU in Friday's 10 am quarterfinal matchup. In an earlier meeting this spring, the Rams defeated Mason, 7-0.
#8 GEORGE MASON def. #9 SAINT LOUIS, 4-0
1. Aaron Capitel (MASON) vs. David Ferragut (SLU) 2-6, 6-3, 4-3, DNF
2. James Lange (MASON) def. Juan Calero (SLU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
3. John Nogalski (SLU) vs. Joe Hill (MASON) 7-6(4), 3-6, 2-2, DNF
4. Tanner Baine (MASON) def. Charlie Parry (SLU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
5. Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) vs. Paarth Dodhiawala (SLU) 7-6(13), 1-6, 1-2, DNF
6. Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) def. Miguel Flores (SLU) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4
1. James Lange/Joe Hill (MASON) def. Juan Calero/John Nogalski (SLU) 6-3
2. Tanner Baine/Aaron Capitel (MASON) def. David Ferragut/Charlie Parry (SLU) 6-2
3. Daniel Gutierrez/Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) vs. Miguel Flores/Oscar Pachon (SLU) 4-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2