CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Sixth-seeded Saint Joseph's earned a spot in Friday's A-10 Men's Tennis Championship quarterfinals with a 4-0 victory over 11th seeded Fordham at Boar's Head Sports Club. The Hawks will face No. 3 Richmond at 1:30 pm.
SJU took a 1-0 match lead in doubles play, winning on both the second and third courts. Kyle Chalmers and Tristan Boustany finished first with a clean 6-0 defeat of Victor Li and Cameron Posillico in the third flight. On court two, Andres Urrea and Peter Dewitt clinched the point with a 6-2 victory against Tomas Cosmai and Joe Kavaloski. In top doubles, the match was notched at three games a piece.
In singles play, Kevin Gates and Andre Fick finished on courts six (6-0, 6-2) and five (6-1, 7-5), respectively, to give the Hawks a 3-0 lead in the match. The match was clinched when SJU's Kyle Chalmers earned a 7-5, 6-1 decision over Pedro Alonso at No. 3 singles. When the teams met less than two weeks ago, the Spiders won, 7-0.
#6 SAINT JOSEPH’S def. #11 FORDHAM, 4-0
1. Tomas Cosmai (FOR) vs. Renier Moolman (SJU) 6-2, 6-6, DNF
2. Victor Li (FOR) vs. Andres Urrea (SJU) 2-6, 6-3, 4-2, DNF
3. Kyle Chalmers (SJU) def. Pedro Alonso (FOR) 7-5, 6-1
4. Tristan Boustany (SJU) vs. Nick Borak (FOR) 6-3, 6-6 (7-8), DNF
5. Andre Fick (SJU) def. Joe Kavaloski (FOR) 6-1, 7-5
6. Kevin Gates (SJU) def. Cameron Posillico (FOR) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3
1. Renier Moolman/Dan Tan (SJU) vs. Pedro Alonso/Nick Borak (FOR) 3-3, DNF
2. Andres Urrea/Peter Dewitt (SJU) def. Tomas Cosmai/Joe Kavaloski (FOR) 6-2
3. Kyle Chalmers/Tristan Boustany (SJU) def. Victor Li/Cameron Posillico (FOR) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Duquesne Dukes, seeded seventh in the 2016 A-10 Men's Tennis Championship, outlasted the 10th seeded St. Bonaventure Bonnies, 4-1, on Thursday, to earn a spot in Friday's quarterfinals at Boar's Head Sports Club.
Duquesne struck first in doubles as Adam Blasinsky and Tim Kane defeated Hector Martinez and Carlos De La Cruz, 6-2, on court two. The Bonnies then evened the doubles play on court one, when Eduardo Irizarry and Victor Blanco earned a 7-5 decision against Corey Robinson and Harry Walshe. Chris Corrao and Dane Bendel helped the Dukes to a 1-0 match lead, taking down Blake McGuirt and Miki Nobuzawa in third doubles, 7-5.
Harry Walshe and Chris Corrao would help the Dukes to a 3-0 lead with straight set victories at No. 4 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
Bonaventure got on the board with a No. 3 singles victory from Hector Martinez over Adam Blasinksy, 7-5, 6-1, while the remaining three courts went to into third sets.
After dropping the first set, 6-4, Duquesne's Drew Akins recovered to win the final two sets and clinched the match for DUQ.
With the win, Duquesne moves on to face No. 2 George Washington on Friday at 1:30 pm.
#7 DUQUESNE def. #10 ST. BONAVENTURE, 4-1
1. Corey Robinson (DUQ) vs. Eduardo Irizarry (SBU) 7-6(5), 4-6, 2-1, DNF
2. Dimitrios Stavropoulos (DUQ) vs. Victor Blanco (SBU) 6-3, 4-6, 5-5, DNF
3. Hector Martinez (SBU) def. Adam Blasinsky (DUQ) 7-5, 6-1
4. Harry Walshe (DUQ) def. Miki Nobuzawa (SBU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Drew Akins (DUQ) def. Blake McGuirt (SBU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6.Chris Corrao (DUQ) def. Marcelo Vazquez (SBU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 3, 5
1. Eduardo Irizarry/Victor Blanco (SBU) def. Corey Robinson/Harry Walshe (DUQ) 7-5
2. Adam Blasinsky/Tim Kane (DUQ) def. Hector Martinez/Carlos De La Cruz (SBU) 6-2
3. Chris Corrao/Dane Bendel (DUQ) Blake McGuirt/Miki Nobuzawa (SBU) 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3