CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Top-seeded VCU earned a spot in the semifinals of the 2016 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 team victory over No. 8 George Mason, Friday, at the Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
VCU got on the board first in doubles play, with wins on courts number two and one. First, the pair of Arvid Noren and Louis Ishizaka defeated Tanner Baine and Aaron Capitel, 6-4. In top doubles, Mason's Joe Hill and James Lange were leading throughout the match, when Vitor Lima and Daryl Monfils forced a tiebreak. The Rams won the point with a 7-6(2) decision. On court three, Mason's Daniel Gutierrez and Giuliano Buzoianu were leading Michal Voscek and Catalin Fifea, 6-5.
The Rams extended their lead in singles competition when its top singles player, Michal Voscek defeated Aaron Capitel, 6-1, 6-0. Finishing soon after was VCU's Daryl Mofils, who earned a 6-2, 6-2 decision against Joe Hill.
The match was concluded when Arvid Noren defeated Daniel Gutierrez, 6-4, 6-1.
With the win, VCU will face the winner of No. 4 Davidson/No. 5 Dayton in Saturday's 10 am semifinal match.
#1 VCU def. #8 GEORGE MASON, 4-0
1. Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Aaron Capitel (MASON) 6-1, 6-0
2. James Lange (MASON) vs. Vitor Lima (VCU) 7-6(4), 2-2, DNF
3. Daryl Monfils (VCU) def. Joe Hill (MASON) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tanner Baine (MASON) vs. Catalin Fifea (VCU) 6-4, 1-4, DNF
5. Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) 6-4, 6-1
6. Louis Ishizaka (VCU) vs. Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) 6-3, 1-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5
1. Vitor Lima/Daryl Monfils (VCU) def. James Lange/Joe Hill (MASON) 7-6(2)
2. Arvid Noren/Louis Ishizaka (VCU) def. Tanner Baine/Aaron Capitel (MASON) 6-4
3. Daniel Gutierrez/Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) vs. Michal Voscek/Catalin Fifea (VCU) 6-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - After dropping the doubles point, fifth-seeded Dayton earned four singles victories to upset No. 4 Davidson on Friday in the quarterfinals of the A-10 Men's Tennis Championship. With the win, the Flyers will play top-seeded VCU in Saturday's 10 am semifinal match.
Zack Zapatero and Artem Khrapko picked up a 6-4 win over Andy Druffel and Bernardo Sanson at No. 3 doubles, before JB Gough and Shamael Chaudhry earned a 6-5 win against Zach Berry and Carsten Fisher, to give the Wildcats a 1-0 match lead. Davidson was also leading at second doubles, 6-5, when the doubles point was called.
Lorenzo Rollhauser tied the match at 1-1 when he defeated Jack Riazzi, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 singles, before UD took the lead with a top singles victory for Jordan Benjamin over Shamael Chaudhry (6-4, 6-1).
On No. 2 singles, Carsten Fisher then gave the Flyers a 3-1 lead, taking a first-set tiebreak, 7-6(3) and a 6-2 second set against Artem Khrapko.
Davidson would bring it within one, as Ricky Saad defeated Simon Jayaram, 6-2, 7-6(6). The match finished soon after, when Bernardo Sanson earned a 7-5, 6-4 decision against JB Gough.
The Flyers and Rams have not met this season.
#5 DAYTON def. #4 DAVIDSON, 4-2
1. Jordan Benjamin (UD) def. Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) 6-4, 6-1
2. Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Artem Khrapko (DAV) 7-6(4), 6-2
3. Zach Berry (UD) vs. David Hager (DAV) 7-6(3), 2-3, DNF
4. Bernardo Sanson (UD) def. JB Gough (DAV) 7-5, 6-4
5. Ricky Saad (DAV) def. Simon Jayaram (UD) 6-2, 7-6(6)
6. Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD) def. Jack Riazzi (DAV) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 5, 4
1. JB Gough/Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) def. Zach Berry/Carsten Fisher (UD) 6-4
2. Alex Howard/Evan Watkins (DAV) vs. Jordan Benjamin/Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD) 6-5, DNF
3. Zack Zapatero/Artem Khrapko (DAV) def. Andy Druffel/Bernardo Sanson (UD) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1