CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The third-seeded Richmond Spiders defeated No. 6 Saint Joseph's, 4-1, in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship, Friday, at Boar's Head Sports Club. With the win, UR earns a spot in Saturday's 1:30 pm semifinal match against George Washington.
In doubles play, Richmond's Caleb Troy and Jonathan Quenard defeated Andres Urrea and Peter Dewitt, 6-1 at second doubles, before Jacob Dunbar and Alexandre Felisa earned a 6-2 decision over Renier Moolman and Dan Tan, giving the Spiders and early 1-0 match lead. SJU's Kyle Chalmers and Tristan Boustany were leading James Aronson and Canyon Teague 4-3, when the point was called.
UR would extend their lead to 3-0 with singles victories on courts four and one. Troy earned a straight-set win (6-1, 6-4) against Boustany, and Dunbar finished with a 6-0, 6-4 decision against Renier Moolman.
The Hawks would earn its lone point of the match at No. 3 singles, as Kyle Chalmers defeated Teague, 6-2, 6-3.
The match would conclude on court No. 2 when Richmond's Alexandre Felisa was victorious over Andres Urrea, 6-3, 6-3.
The Spiders and Colonials met earlier this spring, with GW coming out on top, 5-2.
#3 RICHMOND def. #6 SAINT JOSEPH’S, 4-1
1. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Renier Moolman (SJU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Alexandre Felisa (UR) def. Andres Urrea (SJU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Kyle Chalmers (SJU) def. Canyon Teague (UR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Caleb Troy (UR) def. Tristan Boustany (SJU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Andre Fick (SJU) vs. James Aronson (UR) 6-3, 3-4, DNF
6. Kevin Gates (SJU) vs. Alex Hahn (UR) 7-6(9), 1-2, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2
1. Jacob Dunbar/Alexandre Felisa (UR) def. Renier Moolman/Dan Tan (SJU) 6-2
2. Jonathan Quenard/Caleb Troy (UR) def. Andres Urrea/Peter Dewitt (SJU) 6-1
3. Kyle Chalmers/Tristan Boustany (SJU) vs. James Aronson/Canyon Teague 4-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Defending champion, No. 2 George Washington defeated No. 7 Duquesne, 4-0, on Friday to earn a spot in Saturday's semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship. They will face No. 3 Richmond at 1:30 pm.
In doubles play, George Washington struck first on court No. 3 as the pair of Chris Fletcher and Fernando Sala defeated Chris Corrao and Dimitrios Stavropoulos, 6-1. Duquesne's No. 1 Adam Blasinsky and Tim Kane then took down Julius Tverijonas and Danil Zelenkov, 6-3, the pair's first loss of the season. On court two, Cahit Kapukiran and Chris Reynolds rallied back from down 5-2, to win 7-5, to clinch the doubles point for GW.
In singles competition, the Colonials extended their lead with wins on courts No. 6 and No. 5. On court six, Christos Hadjigeorgiou defeated Dane Bendel, 6-3, 6-1, before Cahit Kapukiran earned a straight set win (6-2, 6-0) over Chris Corrao on court five, giving GW a 3-0 match lead.
The match conlcuded as No. 2 Danil Zelenkov notched a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Dimitrios Stavropoulos.
The Colonials and Spiders will face off for the second time this month in Saturday's semifinals at 1:30 pm.
#2 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #7 DUQUESNE, 4-0
1. Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. Corey Robinson (DUQ) 6-4, 3-2, DNF
2. Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Dimitrios Stavropoulos (DUQ) 6-3, 6-3
3. Adam Blasinsky (DUQ) vs. Chris Reynolds (GW) 6-3, 3-4, DNF
4. Chris Fletcher (GW) vs. Drew Akins (DUQ) 6-2, 2-3, DNF
5. Cahit Kapukiran (GW) def. Chris Corrao (DUQ) 6-2, 6-0
6. Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW) def. Dane Bendel (DUQ) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2
1. Adam Blasinsky/Tim Kane (DUQ) def. Julius Tverijonas/Danil Zelenkov (GW) 6-3
2. Cahit Kapukiran/Chris Reynolds (GW) def. Corey Robinson/Dane Bendel (DUQ) 7-5
3. Chris Fletcher/Fernando Sala (GW) def. Chris Corrao/Dimitrios Stavropoulos (DUQ) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2