CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The top-seeded VCU Rams will make its fourth straight appearance in the A-10 Men's Tennis finals as they outlasted a tough Dayton team in Saturday's semifinals at Boar's Head Sports Club.
VCU and Dayton battled back and forth for the opening point of the match, with the Rams striking first. On court three, Michal Voscek and Catalin Fifea defeated Andy Druffel and Bernardo Sanson, 6-3. At top doubles, Dayton evened the score, as Zach Berry and Carsten Fisher took down Vitor Lima and Daryl Monfils, 6-4. On court two, VCU's Arvid Noren and Louis Ishizaka rallied back to notch the match at five games a piece. The Rams would come out on top in the tiebreak, however, winning, 7-6(1), against Jordan Benjamin and Lorenzo Rollhauser.
The Rams extended their match lead, 2-0, when Arvid Noren defeated Simon Jayaram, 6-0, 6-0. on court five. At top singles, freshman Benjamin gave Voscek a battle, but would eventually fall, 6-2, 6-4, making it 3-0 for VCU.
Dayton's Fisher and Berry each earned first set victories on courts two and three, respectively, but did not finish before Catalin Fifea clinched the match at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 7-5.
VCU has made the Sunday finale each of the last four years, and will face the winner of No. 2 George Washington/No. 3 Richmond.
#1 VCU def. #5 DAYTON, 4-0
1. Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Jordan Benjamin (UD) 6-2, 6-4
2. Carsten Fisher (UD) vs. Vitor Lima (VCU) 7-5, 5-4, DNF
3. Zach Berry (UD) vs. Daryl Monfils (VCU) 7-6(2), 3-6, 1-0, DNF
4. Catalin Fifea (VCU) def. Bernardo Sanson (UD), 6-2, 7-5
5. Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Simon Jayaram (UD), 6-0, 6-0
6. Louis Ishizaka (VCU) vs. Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD), 6-4, 6-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4
1. Zach Berry/Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Vitor Lima/Daryl Monfils (VCU) 6-4
2. Arvid Noren/Louis Ishizaka (VCU) def. Jordan Benjamin/Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD) 7-6(1)
3. Michal Voscek/Catalin Fifea (VCU) def. Andy Druffel/Bernardo Sanson (UD) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2