CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The George Washington Colonials will compete in the Atlantic 10 Championship finals for the seventh consecutive year, and will take on the VCU Rams for the fourth championship match. GW defeated No. 3 Richmond, 4-0, on Saturday, at Boar's Head Sports Club.
The Spiders started off hot in doubles play, leading on all three courts. The pair of Jonathan Quenard and Caleb Troy would finish first, taking down Cahit Kapukiran and Chris Reynolds, 6-3. At No. 3 doubles, Chris Fletcher and Fernando Sala rallied back from down 4-3, to win 6-4, evening the score for the Colonials. GW's top pair of Julius Tverijonas and Danil Zelenkov also stormed back for a 7-5 victory to clinch the crucial first point.
In singles play, GW held the advantage on courts 2, 3, 4, and 6, winning the first sets on each. Richmond's James Aronson took the first set at No. 5 singles, 6-2, while Jacob Dunbar and Tverijonas were locked at top singles. Tverijonas eventually broke through, winning the opening set, 7-6(2) in the tiebreak.
Chris Reynolds would give GW a 2-0 match lead when he defeated Canyon Teague, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 3 singles. Christos Hadjigeorgiou would finish next, earning a straight-set victory over Alex Hahn, 6-4, 6-4, extending the team lead to 3-0.
The match concluded on court two as Danil Zelenkov pulled out a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Alexandre Felisa.
The Colonials and Rams have met in the A-10 Championship finale each of the past four years with GW winning in 2012, 2014 and 2015.
#2 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #3 RICHMOND, 4-0
1. Julius Tverijonas (GW) vs. Jacob Dunbar (UR) 7-6(2), 3-2, DNF
2. Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Alexandre Felisa (UR), 6-4, 7-5
3. Chris Reynolds (GW) def. Canyon Teague (UR), 6-0, 6-3
4. Chris Fletcher (GW) vs. Caleb Troy (UR), 7-5, 5-5, DNF
5. James Aronson (UR) vs. Cahit Kapukiran (GW), 6-2, 0-6, 2-3, DNF
6. Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW) def. Alex Hahn (UR), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2
1. Julius Tverijonas/Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Jacob Dunbar/Alexandre Felisa (UR) 7-5
2. Jonathan Quenard/Caleb Troy (UR) def. Cahit Kapukiran/Chris Reynolds (GW), 6-3
3. Chris Fletcher/Fernando Sala (GW) def. James Aronson/Canyon Teague (UR) 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1