VCU Rams Claim Fourth Consecutive Women's Tennis Title
MASON, Ohio - The top-seeded VCU Rams claimed their fourth consecutive Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship title, outlasting No. 3 Davidson, 4-2, on Sunday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center. With the win, the Rams earn the A-10's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
The Rams took early leads on courts No. 1 and 2 in doubles action, leading 4-1 on each, while Davidson led on court three. Anna Rasmussen and Janina Braun finished first at No. 2, defeating Sarah Stein and Laina Cummer, 6-1. Davidon's Gabrielle Centenari and Megan Scholvinck would notch the doubles score at 1-1, earning a 6-2 decision against Magda Aubets and Yana Morar at three doubles. Shortly after, Olga Barshcheuskaya and Darya Berezhnaya clinched the doubles point for the Rams with a 6-4 victory over Ally Sexton and Anna Catharine Feaster at top doubles.
In singles competition, the Rams took first set victories on courts one, three, four, and five, while Centenari and Jenna Brunner won first sets, each in tiebreakers, on courts two and six, respectively.
In top singles, Feaster forced a third set, winning 7-5 in the second over Barshcheuskaya, and Rasmussen won her second set, 6-2, forcing a final set on court two. Davidson's Ava Todd won her second set in the tiebreak on court three, 7-6(7) and Scholvinck recorded a 6-2 win in the second frame on court four.
On court five, Berezhnaya would take a 6-2 victory in the second set to give VCU a 2-0 match lead. Shortly after, Braun notched a 6-4 win in the third set over Scholvinck to extend the Rams lead to 3-0.
Feaster gave the Wildcats its first point of the match, winning in her third set, 6-3, on court one. Jenna Brunner, after winning in the tiebreak in the first set, took her second set, 6-4, to bring Davidson within one point in the match.
The match ended on court two as Rasmussen, after dropping the first set, won consecutive 6-2 sets to clinch the match for the Rams, 4-2.
The Rams have won each of the four Atlantic 10 Championships they've played in since joining the Atlantic 10, and will represent the league in the NCAA Championship. The NCAA Selection Show will be held on Tuesday, May 3, at 5:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
#1 VCU def. #3 DAVIDSON, 4-2
1. Anna Catharine Feaster (DAV) def. Olga Barshcheuskaya (VCU), 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Gabrielle Centenari (DAV), 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-2
3. Magda Aubets (VCU) vs. Ava Todd (DAV), 6-1, 6-7(7), 3-2, DNF
4. Janina Braun (VCU) def. Megan Scholvinck (DAV), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
5. Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Laina Cummer (DAV), 7-6(1), 6-2
6. Jenna Brunner (DAV) def. Yana Morar (VCU) 7-6(2), 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 1, 6, 2
1. Olga Barshcheuskaya/Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Ally Sexton/Anna Catharine Feaster (DAV), 6-4
2. Anna Rasmussen/Janina Braun (VCU) def. Sarah Stein/Laina Cummer (DAV), 6-1
3. Gabrielle Centenari/Megan Scholvinck (DAV) def. Magda Aubets/Yana Morar (VCU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1