CINCINNATI, Ohio - Seventh-seeded George Washington rattled off four straight-set singles victories to defeat No. 10 George Mason, 4-0, in Thursday's final match at Queen City Racquet Club. With the win, the Colonials will face No. 2 Massachusetts, who earned a first-round bye in the A-10 Women's Tennis Championship.
Earning first set victories on each of the six courts, GW's Sara Grubac earned the first point, defeating Sydney Green, 6-4, 6-1. Teodora Radosavljevic finished shortly after with a 6-3, 6-4 decision at top singles against Brittany Pilkington.
Down 4-1 in the second set, Marie-Louise DeCamps rallied back for a 6-1, 6-4 winner against Morgan Yang on court three, before the match was clinched at No. 6 singles, when Egle Jakuciunaite defeated Scarlett Walston, 6-4, 6-2.
The Colonials and Minutewomen have not met this season.
#7 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #10 GEORGE MASON, 4-0
1. Teodora Radosavljevic (GW) def. Brittany Pilkington (MASON), 6-3, 6-4
2. Sara Grubac (GW) def. Sydney Green (MASON), 6-4, 6-1
3. Marie-Louise DeCamps (GW) def. Morgan Yang (MASON), 6-1, 6-4
4. Taylor Nederlander (GW) vs. Esu Erdenebat (MASON) 6-3, 4-3, DNF
5. Allison Hansen (GW) vs. Olivia Lacy-Thompson (MASON) 6-3, 3-0, DNF
6. Egle Jakuciunaite (GW) def. Scarlett Walston (MASON) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 6
CINCINNATI, Ohio - Ninth-seeded Dayton earned a spot in Friday's quarterfinals with a 4-3 victory over No. 8 Fordham at Queen City Racquet Club on Thursday.
All six of Thursday's matches were moved indoors, due to weather concerns, flipping the format to begin play with singles.
Fordham's Estelle Wong struck first for the Rams, winning 6-0, 6-1 at No. 2 singles. Dayton then tied the match, 1-1, as UD's No. 3 Mattea Kilstofte earned a 6-2, 7-5 victory against Alexis Zobeideh.
Fordham's Destiny Grunin picked up a first set victory on court four, before needing a tiebreak to take the second set, and a second point for the Rams. The match would be knotted again when Jackie Kawamoto defeated Gianna Insogna, 6-3, 6-1.
After splitting the first two sets at top singles, Fordham's Mayu Sato clinched the third set, 6-4, again giving the Rams a one point advantage.
Mandy Marchant earned a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 6 singles for Dayton to force the doubles play.
On court three, partners Jackie Kawamoto and Alex Townsend did not surrender a game, earning Dayton the first point with a 6-0 victory. Fordham's top pair of Sato and Wong were leading 5-3 when UD's Marchant and Jade Kawamoto finished off court two, 6-2, clinching the match for the Flyers, 4-3.
With the win, Dayton earns a date with top-seeded VCU in Friday's 10:00 am match. This will be the first meeting of the year for the two teams.
#9 DAYTON def. #8 FORDHAM, 4-3
1. Mayu Sato (FOR) def. Marlys Bridgham (UD) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Estelle Wong (FOR) def. Alex Townsend (UD) 6-0, 6-1
3. Mattea Kilstofte (UD) def. Alexis Zobeideh (FOR) 6-2, 7-5
4. Destiny Grunin (FOR) def. Jade Kawamoto (UD) 6-2, 7-6(4)
5. Jackie Kawamoto (UD) def. Gianna Insogna (FOR) 6-3, 6-1
6. Mandy Marchant (UD) def. Whitney Weisberg (FOR) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 6
1. Mayu Sato/Estelle Wong (FOR) vs. Marlys Bridgham/Mattea Kilstofte (UD) 5-3, DNF
2. Mandy Marchant/Jade Kawamoto (UD) def. Alexis Zobeideh/Destiny Grunin (FOR), 6-2
3. Jackie Kawamoto/Alex Townsend (UD) def. Whitney Weisberg/Gianna Insogna (FOR), 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2