CINCINNATI, Ohio - The third-seeded Davidson Wildcats defeated No. 14 La Salle, 4-0, on Thursday at the Court Yard Sportsplex in the opening round of the A-10 Women's Tennis Championship. Due to weather, Thursday's matches were moved indoors.
Davidson got off to a hot start, winning the first sets on each of the six courts. The Wildcats would pick up its first point on court three, as Ava Todd recorded a perfect match, defeating Asha Anderson, 6-0, 6-0. Davidson extended their lead as Laina Cummer also earned a 6-0, 6-0 decision at No. 5 singles.
Megan Scholvinck defeated Ashton Wentzel, 6-0, 6-0 to give the 'Cats a 3-0 match lead, before Gabrielle Centenari took down Jayla Smith, 6-0, 6-0 to clinch the match.
Davidson's Anna Catharine Feaster and Jenna Brunner were each leading on courts one and six, respectively.
With the win, Davidson will face the winner of No. 6 Duquesne/No. 11 Saint Joseph's.
#3 DAVIDSON def. #14 LA SALLE, 4-0
1. Anna Catharine Feaster (DAV) vs. Ally Santarelli (LAS), 6-2, 3-0, DNF
2. Gabrielle Centenari (DAV) def. Jayla Smith (LAS), 6-0, 6-0
3. Ava Todd (DAV) def. Asha Anderson (LAS), 6-0, 6-0
4. Megan Scholvinck (DAV) def. Ashton Wentzel (LAS), 6-0, 6-0
5. Laina Cummer (DAV) def. Kathryn Thomas (LAS), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jenna Brunner (DAV) vs. Cecile Johnson (LAS), 6-0, 5-1, DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 2
CINCINNATI, Ohio - Fourth-seeded Saint Louis defeated No. 13 Rhode Island, 4-0, on Thursday at the Queen City Racquet Club in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship. With the win, the Billikens move on to Friday's quarterfinals, and will face the winner of No. 5 Richmond/No. 12 St. Bonaventure.
SLU's Madison Tru Cook struck first, defeating Ariel Haber, 6-1, 6-0, before Verginie Tchakarova took down Jordan Rucks, 6-0, 6-0 giving the Billikens a quick 2-0 match lead.
Eleonore Tchakarova clinched the match for Saint Louis, earning a 6-0, 6-4 win against Taylor Holden. Rhode Island forfeited the match on court No. 6.
The Billikens will face the winner of Richmond and St. Bonaventure on Friday at 10:00 am. While the Billikens and Bonnies did not meet this spring, SLU defeated Richmond in early March, 7-0.
#4 SAINT LOUIS def. #13 RHODE ISLAND, 4-0
1. Aspen Cervin (SLU) vs. Anna Peacock (URI) 6-2, 4-6, DNF
2. Eleonore Tchakarova (SLU) def. Taylor Holden (URI) 6-0, 6-4
3. Verginie Tchakarova (SLU) def. Jordan Rucks (URI), 6-0, 6-0
4. Madison Tru Cook (SLU) def. Ariel Haber (URI), 6-1, 6-0
5. Kelsey King (SLU) vs. Nicole Kalver (URI) 6-0, 1-0, DNF
6. Ally Mckenzie (SLU) - wins by default
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 3, 2