MASON, Ohio - Top-seeded VCU won doubles and a trio of singles victories for a 4-0 decision over No. 9 Dayton in Friday's Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship action, held at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
The Rams took the first court in doubles play as Magda Aubets and Yana Morar defeated Jackie Kawamoto and Alex Townsend, 6-1. The top doubles pair of Olga Barshcheuskaya and Darya Berezhnaya finished shortly after, taking down Marlys Bridgham and Mattea Kilstofte, 6-3. On court two, the play was stopped with the teams knotted at 4-4.
Freshman Anna Rasmussen would not drop a game, recording a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 2 singles to give the Rams a 2-0 match lead. Court three finished next as Aubets earned a 6-3, 6-4 victory against Kilstofte.
On courts five and six, Dayton's Jackie Kawamoto and Mandy Marchant each recorded first set victories, respectively. VCU's Janina Braun clinched the match for VCU, winning the second set in a tiebreak, 7-6(4).
The Rams will play in the semifinals for the fourth straight year and will face the winner of No. 4 Saint Louis/No. 5 Richmond.
#1 VCU def. #9 DAYTON, 4-0
1. Olga Barshcheuskaya (VCU) vs. Marlys Bridgham (UD), 7-5, 4-3, DNF
2. Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Alex Townsend (UD), 6-0, 6-0
3. Magda Aubets (VCU) def. Mattea Kilstofte (UD), 6-3, 6-4
4. Janina Braun (VCU) def. Jade Kawamoto (UD), 6-0, 7-6(4)
5. Jackie Kawamoto (UD) vs. Darya Berezhnaya (VCU), 6-3, 1-4, DNF
6. Mandy Marchant (UD) vs. Yana Morar (VCU), 6-4, 4-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4
1. Olga Barshcheuskaya/Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Marlys Bridgham/Mattea Kilstofte (UD), 6-3
2. Anna Rasmussen/Janina Braun (VCU) vs. Mandy Marchant/Jade Kawamoto (UD), 4-4, DNF
3. Magda Aubets/Yana Morar (VCU) def. Jackie Kawamoto/Alex Townsend (UD), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1
MASON, Ohio - The fourth-seeded Saint Louis Billikens earned a spot in the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship semifinals with a 4-1 win against No. 5 Richmond on Friday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
Saint Louis got on the board first winning the top two doubles flights. The pair of Aspen Cervin and Madison Tru Cook defeated Gaby Rosales and Ana Ramirez, 6-2, on second doubles, before Eleonore Tchakarova and Verginia Tchakarova took down Brittany Boys and Katya Salas, 6-4.
In singles action, SLU won the first sets on courts two, three, four, and five, while Richmond notched victories on court one and six.
Eleonore Tchakarova defeated Gaby Rosales, 6-3, 6-2, to give the Billikens their second point of the match, while each of the remaining courts went to third sets.
After dropping the second set in a tiebreak, Verginie Tchakarova came back in the third to win 6-1 on court three, for the 3-0 SLU match lead. Shortly after, Richmond would earn a point when Ana Ramirez won back-to-back sets on court four (4-6, 6-4, 6-3).
Aspen Cervin would clinch the match for the Billikens, winning in the second and third sets.
With the win, SLU will face No. 1 VCU in the semifinals on Saturday at 10:00 am at Lindner.
#4 SAINT LOUIS def. #5 RICHMOND, 4-1
1. Aspen Cervin (SLU) def. Anna Abadias (UR) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Eleonore Tchakarova (SLU) def. Gaby Rosales (UR), 6-3, 6-2
3. Verginie Tchakarova (SLU) def. Brittany Boys (UR), 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-1
4. Ana Ramirez (UR) def. Madison Tru Cook (SLU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Kelsey Williams (UR) vs. Kelsey King (SLU), 6-7(5), 6-1, 4-2, DNF
6. Ally Mckenzie (SLU) vs. Katya Salas (UR), 3-6, 6-3, 3-2, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 1
1. Eleonore Tchakarova/Verginia Tchakarova (SLU) def. Brittany Boys/Katya Salas (UR), 6-4
2. Aspen Cervin/Madison Tru Cook (SLU) def. Gaby Rosales/Ana Ramirez (UR), 6-2
3. Kelsey King/Natalia Yacaman (SLU) vs. Anna Abadias/Emily Gitman (UR) 4-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1