CINCINNATI, Ohio - Seventh-seeded George Washington earned the crucial doubles point and three singles victories en route to a 4-3 team victory over No. 2 Massachusetts, Friday, at Camargo Racquet Club. With the win, the Colonials advance to the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship, and will play No. 3 Davidson at 1:30 pm on Saturday.
GW and Massachusetts battled from the start, splitting courts on No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. First Allison Hansen and Taylor Nederlander defeated Ana Yrazusta and Carol Benito, 6-1, before Ruth Crawford and Anna Woosley took down Sara Grubac and Marie-Louise DeCamps, 6-3. Teodora Radosavljevic and Egle Jakuciunaite clinched the point with a 6-4 winner over Laura Moreno and Arielle Griffin.
Benito recorded UMass' first point, taking straight sets against Allison Hansen at No. 5 singles. Each of the five remaining singles courts would go to three sets.
Griffin extended the lead for the Minutewomen, 2-1, winning the second and third sets over Marie-Louise DeCamps (4-6, 6-3, 6-2). At top singles, GW's Radosavljevic rallied back from down 5-1 in the third set to win in the tiebreaker, evening the match at 2-2.
Minutes later, Brittany Collens defeated Jakuciunaite in the third set, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, again swinging the score in UM's favor, before GW would knot the match again as Grubac won the third set at No 2 singles.
The match was decided on No. 4 singles as Nederlander and Woosley split sets. Nederlander clinched the match, winning 7-5 in the third set.
The Colonials will face No. 3 Davidson in Saturday's second semifinal.
#7 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #2 MASSACHUSETTS, 4-3
1. Teodora Radosavljevic (GW) def. Ruth Crawford (UM), 0-6, 6-2, 7-6(1)
2. Sara Grubac (GW) def. Ana Yrazusta (UM), 6-2, 6-7(8), 6-1
3. Arielle Griffin (UM) def. Marie-Louise DeCamps (GW), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Taylor Nederlander (GW) def. Anna Woosley (UM), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Carol Benito (UM) def. Allison Hansen (GW), 6-2, 6-1
6. Brittany Collens (UM) def. Egle Jakuciunaite (GW), 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 6, 2, 4
1. Allison Hansen/Taylor Nederlander (GW) def. Ana Yrazusta/Carol Benito (UM), 6-1
2. Ruth Crawford/Anna Woosley (UM) def. Sara Grubac/Marie-Louise DeCamps (GW), 6-3
3. Teodora Radosavljevic/Egle Jakuciunaite (GW) def. Laura Moreno/Arielle Griffin (UM), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
CINCINNATI, Ohio - After dropping the doubles point, No. 3 Davidson used four singles victories to defeat No. 6 Duquesne, 4-2, in Friday's quarterfinal of the A-10 Women's Tennis Championship. With the win, the Wildcats earn a date with No. 7 George Washington on Saturday at 1:30 pm.
Duquesne used wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to capture the early match point. Kylie Isaacs and Julianne Herman first defeated Ally Sexton and Anna Catharine Feaster, 6-1, at top doubles, before Megan Wasson and Alexa Miller earned a 6-2 decision over Gabrielle Centenari and Megan Scholvinck. Davidson's Sarah Stein and Laina Cummer were leading, 5-4, when the point was clinched.
In singles action, Cummer was the first to finish, defeating Wasson on court five in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, to even the score at 1-1.
The Dukes picked up first set victories on courts one, and three, while Davidson won early on court two, four and six.
At No. 1 singles, Davidson would go up, 2-1, as Feaster rallied back for back-to-back wins over Isaacs, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. Centenari and Herman battled back and forth, with Herman winning a 13-11 tiebreak in the second set. The Dukes' freshman would retire in the third set, due to injury, as Centenari was leading, 5-0.
Maddy Adams earned a 7-5, 7-6(3) tiebreak win on the second set to bring Duquesne back within 1.
After dropping first set tiebreakers on courts four and six, Davidson's Scholvinck and Brunner battled back to force a third set, and each led in the final frame. Brunner would finish first, winning the third set, 6-4, to clinch the match for the 'Cats.
Davidson will play No. 7 George Washington in Saturday's 1:30 pm final. When the teams met in late February, the Wildcats came out on top, 5-2.
#3 DAVIDSON def. #6 DUQUESNE, 4-2
1. Anna Catharine Feaster (DAV) def. Kylie Isaacs (DUQ), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Gabrielle Centenari (DAV) def. Julianne Herman (DUQ) 6-4, 6-7(11), 5-0 (ret.)
3. Maddy Adams (DUQ) def. Ava Todd (DAV) 7-5, 7-6(3)
4. Megan Scholvinck (DAV) vs. Alexa Miller (DUQ) 7-6(4), 3-6, 5-2, DNF
5. Laina Cummer (DAV) def. Megan Wasson (DUQ) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jenna Brunner (DAV) def. Ally Miller (DUQ) 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 2, 3, 6
1. Kylie Isaacs/Julianne Herman (DUQ) def. Ally Sexton/Anna Catharine Feaster, 6-1
2. Sarah Stein/Laina Cummer (DAV) vs. Zuzanna Stelmaszak/Ally Miller (DUQ), 5-4 , DNF
3. Megan Wasson/Alexa Miller (DUQ) def. Gabrielle Centenari/Megan Scholvinck (DAV), 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3