MASON, Ohio - The top-seeded Rams defeated No. 4 Saint Louis, 4-1 on Saturday, to advance to their fourth consecutive Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship finals.
VCU clinched the doubles point in just over forty minutes, winning on first and second doubles. On court two, Anna Rasmussen and Janina Braun defeated Aspen Cervin and Madison Tru Cook, 6-0 before Olga Barshcheuskaya and Darya Berezhnaya took down Eleonore and Verginie Tchakarova, 6-3, at top doubles. Magda Aubets and Yana Morar were leading Kelsey King and Natalia Yacaman, 5-3, when the point was won.
In singles action, VCU clinched first set victories on each court except top singles, where Cervin won her first set, 6-2. Braun gave the Rams a 2-0 match lead when she won in straight sets at No. 4 singles, 6-1, 6-4.
Cervin put the Billikens on the board when she completed her match, 6-2, 6-3 over Barshcheuskaya. Saint Louis then forced third sets at No. t, 5 and 6 singles. Rasmussen would put VCU up 3-1, earning a 6-3, 7-5 decision against Eleonore Tchakarova.
With SLU's King and Ally Mckenzie leading in their third sets, VCU's Aubets won her third set over Verginie Tchakarova, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, clinching the match, 4-1.
With the win, the Rams will face the winner of No. 3 Davidson/No. 7 George Washington in Sunday's 10:00 am finale. The Rams have won the A-10 title each of the last three years.
#1 VCU def. #4 SAINT LOUIS, 4-1
1. Aspen Cervin (SLU) def. Olga Barshcheuskaya (VCU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Eleonore Tchakarova (SLU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Magda Aubets (VCU) def. Verginie Tchakarova (SLU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Janina Braun (VCU) def. Madison Tru Cook (SLU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Kelsey King (SLU) vs. Darya Berezhnaya (VCU), 1-6, 6-4, 5-0, DNF
6. Ally Mckenzie (SLU) vs. Yana Morar (VCU), 1-6, 6-2, 4-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3
1. Olga Barshcheuskaya/Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) Eleonore Tchakarova/ Verginie Tchakarova (SLU), 6-3
2. Anna Rasmussen/Janina Braun (VCU) def. Aspen Cervin/Madison Tru Cook (SLU), 6-0
3. Magda Aubets/Yana Morar (VCU) vs. Kelsey King/Natalia Yacaman (SLU), 5-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1