MASON, Ohio - The third-seeded Wildcats used three straight set victories in singles play to defeat No. 7 George Washington, 4-1, in Saturday's second semifinal of the 2016 Women's Tennis Championship at Lindner Family Tennis Center.
The Wildcats took the doubles point, winning at second and third doubles. At No. 3 doubles, Gabrielle Centenari and Megan Scholvinck defeated Teodora Radosavljevic and Egle Jakuciunaite, 6-3, before Sarah Stein and Laina Cummer earned a 6-4 decision over Sara Grubac and Marie-Louise DeCamps, 6-4, at No. 2 doubles. At top doubles, the Colonials were leading 5-4 when the point was won.
GW would tie the match, striking first at No. 2 singles, where Sara Grubac took straight sets (6-1, 6-0). Davidson would then rattle off three straight singles victories to clinch the match 4-1.
Laina Cummer and Anna Catharine Feaster won at No. 5 and No. 1 singles, respectively, putting Davidson up 3-1. After winning her first set, 6-0, Brunner finished off Jakuciunaite, 6-4, in the second set to win the match. It was the second straight match that Brunner's victory clinched the team win.
Davidson will play in their first women's tennis championship finals since joining the Atlantic 10, and will face three-time defending champions, VCU, on Sunday at 10:0 am.
#3 DAVIDSON def. #7 GEORGE WASHINGTON, 4-1
1. Anna Catharine Feaster (DAV) def. Teodora Radosavljevic (GW) 6-4, 6-3
2. Sara Grubac (GW) def. Gabrielle Centenari (DAV) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ava Todd (DAV) vs. Marie-Louise DeCamps (GW) 6-4, 4-4, DNF
4. Taylor Nederlander (GW) vs. Megan Scholvinck (DAV) 6-4, 1-6, DNF
5. Laina Cummer (DAV) def. Allison Hansen (GW) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jenna Brunner (DAV) def. Egle Jakuciunaite (GW) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1, 6
1. Allison Hansen/Taylor Nederlander (GW) vs. Ally Sexton/Anna Catharine Feaster (DAV), 5-4, DNF
2. Sarah Stein/Laina Cummer (DAV) def. Sara Grubac/Marie-Louise DeCamps (GW), 6-4
3. Gabrielle Centenari/Megan Scholvinck (DAV) def. Teodora Radosavljevic/Egle Jakuciunaite (GW), 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2