Rams and Billikens Punch Ticket to #A10WTEN Semis
ORLANDO, Fla. - The third-seeded Fordham Rams defeated their quarterfinal opponent, No. 11 Rhode Island 4-0, in Friday's Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis action at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. With the win, Fordham will face second-seed UMass on Saturday morning at 10 am.
The Rams got off to a hot start with the pair of Carina Ma and Estelle Wong defeating Rachel Smilansky and Emily Zargham, 6-2 at top doubles. On court two, Lexi Zobediah and Mayu Sato clinched the team doubles point with a 6-3 victory against Michaela Codreanu and Tiara Higuchi. Court three finished almost simultaneously, with Fordham leading 5-4, when the doubles point was called.
In singles action, Fordham took the opening set on each of the courts except court four, where URI's Higuchi won the tiebreaker over Sato. Destiny Grunin and Carina Ma earned victories at No. 6 and No. 1 singles, respectively, to give Fordham a decisive 3-0 match lead, before Estelle Wong finished her No. 2 match, 7-6, 6-1 to clinch the team win.
The Rams and Minutewomen met just last week, with UMass coming out on top, 5-2.
#3 FORDHAM def. #11 RHODE ISLAND, 4-0
1. Carina Ma (FOR) def. Michaela Codreanu (URI), 6-2, 7-5
2. Estelle Wong (FOR) def. Emily Zargham (URI), 7-6, 6-1
3. Maia Balce (FOR) vs. Rachel Smilansky (URI), 6-4, 4-4, DNF
4. Mayu Sato (FOR) vs. Tiara Higuchi (URI) 5-7, 5-0, DNF
5. Gianna Insogna (FOR) vs. Ariel Haber (URI), 6-1, 3-6, 2-3, DNF
6. Destiny Grunin (FOR) def. Jordan Rucks (URI) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2
1. Carina Ma/Estelle Wong (FOR) def. Rachel Smilansky/Emily Zargham (URI), 6-2
2. Lexi Zobeideh/Mayu Sato (FOR) def. Michaela Codreanu/Tiara Higuchi (URI), 6-3
3. Maia Balce/Carolina Sa (FOR) vs. Ariel Haber/Jordan Rucks (URI), 5-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
ORLANDO, Fla - The fifth-seeded Saint Louis Billikens defeated No. 4 Davidson in Friday morning's quarterfinal matchup. With the win, Saint Louis advances to the semifinals and will face the top-seeded VCU Rams, they will play on Saturday at 10 am.
The Wildcats came out strong, winning the doubles point at the No. 2 and 3 spots. Anna-Catharine Feaster and Ally Sexton downed their SLU opponents, 6-0 to take the first point. Ava Todd and Alexandra Abele clinched the doubles point for Davidson with a 6-3 decision.
Saint Louis did not back down from the challenge as they dominated the singles court, winning four of five to claim the victory. Verginie Tchakarova only droped one game on her way to a 6-0, 6-1 victory at the No. 3 spot to put the Billikens on the board. Cassie McKenzie followed with a 7-5, 6-1 victory at No. 5, while Aspen Cervin took the win, 6-1, 7-5 from her Wildcat opponent. Davidson would answer with one as Samantha Armas won at the No. 5 spot 6-3, 6-4. Eleonore Tchakarova had the match clinching point with at 6-3, 7-5 victory over Megan Scholvinck.
The Rams and the Billikens met earlier this season, with VCU taking a 6-1 decision.
#5 SAINT LOUIS def. #4 DAVIDSON, 4-2
1. Aspen Cervin (SLU) def. Anna-Catharine Feaster (DAV), 6-1, 7-5
2. Eleonore Tchakarova (SLU) def. Megan Scholvinck (DAV), 6-3, 7-5
3. Verginie Tchakarova (SLU) def. Gabrielle Centenari (DAV), 6-0, 6-1
4. Ally McKenzie (SLU) vs. Alexa Abele (DAV), 6-2, 4-3 (DNF)
5. Cassie McKenzie (SLU) def. Ava Todd (DAV), 7-5, 6-1
6. Samantha Armas (DAV) def. Mariluz Rojo Domingo (SLU), 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,5,1,6,2
1. Eleonore Tchakarova/Verginie Tchakarova (SLU) def. Megan Scholvinck/Samantha Armas (DAV), 6-4
2. Anna-Catharine Feaster/Ally Sexton (DAV) def. Aspen Cervin/Ariana Rodriguez (SLU), 6-0
3. Ava Todd/Alexa Abele (DAV) def. Ally McKenzie/Cassie McKenzie (SLU), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,1,3