VCU, Massachusetts Headed to the #A10WTEN Championship Finals
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The second-seeded Massachusetts Minutewomen are headed to the championship match in the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 victory over No. 3 Fordham at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. The Minutewomen will make their third appereance in a championship final in six years and will face top seed VCU.
UMass didn't waiver from the start, clinching the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and 2 spots. Ruth Crawford and Anna Woosley blanked their Rams opponents with a 6-0 victory at the top spot, giving the Minutewomen the early lead. Ana Yrazusta and Janja Kovacevic sealed the point with a 6-2 decision at No. 2. Fordham's Carolina Sa and Maia Balce were leading 5-2 at third doubles when UMass clinched the point.
Crawford opened singles play only dropping two games, earning a 6-1, 6-1 victory at second singles. Yrazusta finished next, taking a 6-0, 6-2 decision at No. 3, bringing the Minutewomen within a point of clinching the match. Woosley would win the match for UMass as she garnered a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 4 Singles.
#2 MASSACHUSETTS def. #3 FORDHAM, 4-0
1. Janja Kovacevic (UMASS) vs. Carina Ma (FOR), 7-5, 0-1 (DNF)
2. Ruth Crawford (UMASS) def. Estelle Wong (FOR), 6-1, 6-1
3. Ana Yrazusta (UMASS) def. Maia Balce (FOR), 6-0, 6-2
4. Anna Woosley (UMASS) def. Mayu Sato (FOR), 6-3, 6-1
5. Laura Moreno (UMASS) vs. Gianna Insogna (FOR), 4-6, 2-3 (DNF)
6. Brittany Collens (UMASS) vs. Destiny Grunin (FOR), 6-4, 3-0 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4
1. Ruth Crawford/Anna Woosley (UMASS) def. Carina Ma/Estelle Wong (FOR), 6-0
2. Ana Yrazusta/Janja Kovacevic (UMASS) def. Lexi Zobeideh/Mayu Sato (FOR), 6-2
3. Brittany Collens/Laura Moreno (UMASS) vs. Carolina Sa/Maia Balce (FOR), 2-5 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 1, 2
ORLANDO, Fla. - The top-seeded VCU Rams have punched their ticket to the 2017 Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship finals with a 4-1 victory over No. 5 Saint Louis Saturday at the USTA National Campus. With the win, the Rams will appear in their fifth straight finals and will face No. 2 Massachusetts.
In doubles play, VCU's top pair of Janina Braun and Anna Rasmussen defeated Eleonore and Verginie Tchakarova, 6-3 to get on the board. On court three, SLU's Ally and Cassie McKenzie would battle back to tie their match at 4-4 with Noumea Witmus and Isabella Camargo, but not before Darya Berezhnaya and Magda Aubets completed their match at No. 2 doubles over Aspen Cervin and Ariana Rodriguez, 6-4, to give the Rams the first point of the day.
In singles action, the Billikens took first sets on courts three, five, and four, where Ally McKenzie battled back to force and eventually win the first set tiebreak, 7-6(3). Verginia Tchakarova would put SLU on the board first with a straight set victory over Magda Aubets, 6-1, 6-1.
VCU answered back shortly after as Braun defeated Cervin 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles and Rasmussen took down Eleonore Tchakarova, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles, giving the Rams a 2-1 match lead.
Courts five and six would each go a third and final set, with Witmus winning her final two sets on court five to clinch the match. After a long first set, VCU's Berezhnaya took the second set, 6-1, on court 4, but play in the third set didn't begin when the match was called.
VCU has won the last four women's tennis championship crowns, including a 2015 victory against UMass. Wrap-around coverage of the finals will air on ESPN, while each court will individually be streamed through USTA.
#1 VCU def. #5 SAINT LOUIS, 4-1
1. Janina Braun (VCU) def. Aspen Cervin (SLU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Eleonore Tchakarova (SLU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Verginie Tchakarova (SLU) def. Magda Aubets (VCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Ally McKenzie (SLU) vs. Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) 7-6(3), 1-6, DNF
5. Noumea Witmus (VCU) def. Cassie McKenzie (SLU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Isabella Camargo (VCU) vs. Mariluz Rojo Domingo (SLU), 7-5, 4-6, 1-0, DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 5
1. Janina Braun/Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Eleonore Tchakarova/Verginie Tchakarova (SLU), 6-3
2. Darya Berezhnaya/Magda Aubets (VCU) def. Aspen Cervin/Ariana Rodriguez (SLU), 6-4
3. Noumea Witmus/Isabella Camargo (VCU) vs. Ally McKenzie/Cassie McKenzie (SLU), 4-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2