ORLANDO, Fla. – Ninth-seeded Saint Joseph’s overcame No. 8 George Mason 4-2 in Thursday’s first match at the USTA National Campus. With the win, the Hawks will face No. 1 VCU Friday morning at the A-10 Men’s Tennis Championship.
The Patriots claimed the doubles point with Giuliano Buzoianu and Carter Bradford defeating John Massart and Scott Battaglia on the No. 3 court. Daniel Gutierrez and Pally Ray followed up their teammates win with a win of their own over Tim Stierle and Andre Fick in No. 1 doubles play.
Stierle started the comeback for Saint Joseph’s, as he turned away Eddie Ayers on the No. 1 singles court with a 6-2, 6-4 victory. Finishing closely behind his teammate, Massart dispatched Ray on the No. 5 court, 6-4, 6-4. Bradford tied the score at two with his victory over Dan Tan at No. 4. Fick dispatched Gutierrez (4-6, 6-4, 6-3) and Luis Janko was victorious over Buzoianu (4-6, 6-0, 6-3) to help clinch the match for SJU.
#9 Saint Joseph’s def. #8 George Mason
- Tim Stierle (SJU) def. Eddie Ayers (MASON) 6-2, 6-4
- Andre Fick (SJU) def. Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Jakob Nielsen (MASON) vs. Peter Dewitt (SJU) 6-4, 6-7(4), 5-4, DNF
- Carter Bradford (MASON) def. Dan Tan (SJU) 7-5, 6-4
- John Massart (SJU) def. Pally Ray (MASON) 6-4, 6-4
- Luis Janko (SJU) def. Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 4, 2, 6
- Daniel Gutierrez/Pally Ray (MASON) def. Tim Stierle/Andre Fick (SJU) 6-4
- Jakob Nielsen/Eddie Ayers (MASON) vs. Peter Dewitt/Dan Tan (SJU) 6-5, DNF
- Giuliano Buzoianu/Carter Bradford (MASON) def. John Massart/Scott
Order of Finish: 3,1
ORLANDO, Fla.—Fifth-seeded Richmond earned a spot in Friday’s quarterfinals with a 4-0 win over No. 12 La Salle at the USTA National Campus on Thursday.
After La Salle’s tandem of Francesco Mowrey and Tomas Christian claimed the No. 1 doubles court, the Spiders No. 2 and No. 3 pairings reeled off two straight wins to claim the doubles point. Brice Polender and Klein Evans defeated La Salle’s No. 2 team of Connor Merrill and Rogelio Gonzalez, 6-3, followed by Matthew Fernandez and George Lovitt’s win over Joseph Diorio and Colin Lucius, 6-2
Aronson earned Richmond’s first singles victory of the day by defeating Gonzalez, 6-1, 6-0, claiming the No. 3 singles court. Evans kept the momentum rolling for the Spiders as he moved past Christian 6-3, 6-2. On the No. 5 court, Lovitt turned away Patrick Pascual, clinching the match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory.
Richmond will face No. 4 George Washington on Friday at 9:00 am. George Washington knocked off the Spiders earlier in the year, 4-3, at Richmond.
#5 Richmond def. #12 La Salle, 4-0
- Caleb Troy (UR) vs. Francesco Mowrey (LAS) 6-2, 4-3, DNF
- Matthew Fernandez (UR) vs. Connor Merrill (LAS) 6-4, 2-2, DNF
- James Aronson (UR) def. Rogelio Gonzalez (LAS) 6-1, 6-0
- Klein Evans (UR) def. Tomas Christian (LAS) 6-3, 6-2
- George Lovitt (UR) def. Patrick Pascual (LAS) 6-1, 6-2
- Joseph Nardini (UR) vs. Colin Lucius (LAS) 6-3, 4-2 DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5
- Francesco Mowrey/Tomas Christian (LAS) def. Caleb Troy/James Aronson (UR), 6-3
- Brice Polender/Klein Evans (UR) def. Connor Merrill/Rogelio Gonzalez (LAS), 6-3
- Matthew Fernandez/George Lovitt (UR) def. Joseph Diorio/Colin
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3