VCU, Richmond Advance to Semifinals
ORLANDO, Fla. – No. 1 seed VCU defeated No. 9 Saint Joseph’s 4-0 in Friday’s quarterfinals match at the USTA National Campus. With the win, the Rams will face the winner of Friday’s quarterfinal matchup between No. 5 Richmond/No.4 George Washington on Saturday at 10:00 am, at the A-10 Men’s Tennis Championship.
In doubles action, Inigo Torre Martin and Arvid Noren recorded the first doubles win of the day for the Rams with their 6-1 victory over Peter DeWitt and Dan Tan at No. 2. Picking up the doubles point for VCU was Philip Mobius and Ignacio Rivero Crespo when they defeated the Hawks tandem of John Massart and Scott Battaglia, 6-2, on the No. 3 court.
Rivero Crespo dispatched Luis Janko, 6-0, 6-3 on the No. 6 court. Javier Amantegui was the next to finish, as he was victorious over Tan, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 4 matchup. Clinching the match for the Rams was Torre Martin who dispatched Massart, 6-1, 6-2, in No. 5 singles play.
#1 VCU def. #9 Saint Joseph’s, 4-0
- Arvid Noren (VCU) vs. Tim Stierle (SJU) 6-3, 2-3, DNF
- Vitor Lima (VCU) vs. Andre Fick (SJU) 6-2, 2-4, DNF
- Philip Mobius (VCU) vs. Peter DeWitt (SJU) 4-6, 0-2, DNF
- Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Dan Tan (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
- Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. John Massart (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
- Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Luis Janko (SJU) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6
- Vitor Lima/Javier Amantegui (VCU) vs. Tim Stierle/Andre Fick (SJU) 3-4, DNF
- Inigo Torre Martin/Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Peter DeWitt/Dan Tan (SJU) 6-1
- Philip Mobius/Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. John Massart/Scott Battaglia (SJU) 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3
ORLANDO, Fla.—Fifth-seeded Richmond advances to Saturday’s semifinals with a 4-0 win over No. 4 George Washington at the USTA National Campus on Friday.
George Washington struck first by taking an early 1-0 lead with their doubles win. After the Matthew Fernandez and George Lovitt’s victory for the Spiders on the No. 3 court, Chris Reynolds and Jakub Behun defeated Caleb Troy and James Aronson, 6-4, followed by Chris Fletcher and Christos Hadjigeorgiou’s 6-2 victory over Brice Polender and Klein Evans.
Richmond battled back in singles play to bring home the win. Joseph Nardini got the momentum started by taking down Alman Sahoo on the No. 6 court. Evans followed up Nardini’s victory with a 6-2, 6-2 win of his own in the No. 4 matchup against William Tutecky. In a three-set matchup, George Lovitt outlasted Behun, 0-6, 6-3, 6-3. Closing out the match and completing the comeback for Richmond was Caleb Troy on the No. 1 court, defeating Reynolds, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
The Spiders will now face their cross-town rival in Saturday’s semifinals at 10:00 am.
#5 Richmond def. #4 George Washington, 4-2
- Caleb Troy (UR) def. Chris Reynolds (GW), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
- Chris Fletcher (GW) def. Matthew Fernandez (UR), 6-2, 6-1
- James Aronson (UR) vs. Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW), 6-1, 6-7(3), 3-2, DNF
- Klein Evans (UR) def. William Tutecky (GW), 6-2, 6-2
- George Lovitt (UR) def. Jakub Behun (GW), 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Joseph Nardini (UR) def. Alman Sahoo (GW), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 5, 1
- Chris Reynolds/Jakub Behun (GW) def. Caleb Troy/James Aronson (UR), 6-4
- Chris Fletcher/Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW def. Brice Polender/Klein Evans (UR) ), 6-2
- Matthew Fernandez/George Lovitt (UR) def. William
Tuteckey/Kaan Tuna (GW), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2