CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The No. 6 Saint Joseph's Hawks earned a spot in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 sweep of No. 11 La Salle in the opening round in Charlottesville, Va.
Saint Joseph's used wins in the top two flights to take an early 1-0 lead. Jose Sierra and Pierre Brondeau defeated Charles Berenato and Brian Balico, 8-2, while Kyle Chalmers and Andres Urrea took down DeSean Fennel and Dale Fetterman, 8-3.
In singles play, SJU's Urrea defeated Robert Kasinow 6-1, 6-0 and Brondeau picked up a 6-2, 6-0 victory against Berenato to give the Hawks a 3-0 lead. Dan Barrus and Fetterman traded sets, before Barrus won in set three, 6-1, to finish off La Salle.
Saint Joseph's moves on to face No. 3 Duquesne in tomorrow's quarterfinals at 1:00 pm.
#6 SAINT JOSEPH’S def. #11 LA SALLE, 4-0
1. Jose Sierra (SJU) vs. DeSean Fennel (LAS) 6-0, 4-6, 5-0, DNF
2. Pierre Brondeau (SJU) def. Charles Berenato (LAS) 6-2, 6-0
3. Dan Barrus (SJU) def. Dale Fetterman (LAS) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. Andres Urrea (SJU) def. Robert Kasinow (LAS) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kyle Chalmers (SJU) vs. Brian Balico (LAS) 6-1, 5-4, DNF
6. Tristan Boustany (SJU) vs. Thomas McLeod (LAS) 6-4, 5-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3
1. Jose Sierra/Pierre Brondeau (SJU) def. Charles Berenato/Brian Balico (LAS) 8-2
2. Kyle Chalmers/Andres Urrea (SJU) def. DeSean Fennel/Dale Fetterman (LAS) 8-3
3. Thomas McLeod/Robert Kasinow (LAS) vs. Dan Barrus/Paranjay Malhotra (SJU) 7-6 DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
CHARLOTTESVILLA, Va. - The tenth-seeded Fordham pulled the upset over seventh-seeded St. Bonaventure, 4-1, to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship.
Fordham's No. 2 and 3 doubles pairs, Matt Najfeld/Kuba Kowalski and Michael Puntillo/J.J. Tauil both recorded wins, giving the Rams a quick 1-0 advantage.
The Bonnies would counter with a straight set win on court three, getting a 6-2, 6-2 win from Ramazan Nureev over J.J. Tauil. The Rams followed in quick succession, finishing in second, sixth, and first flights, all in straight sets, to clinch the match in just under two and a half hours.
Fordham will face second-seed VCU in the 1:00 pm quarterfinals matchup.
#10 FORDHAM def. #7 ST. BONAVENTURE, 4-1
1. Matty Najfeld (FOR) def. Elliot Fanshel (SBU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alastair Barnes (FOR) def. Eduardo Irizarry (SBU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ramazan Nureev (SBU) def. J.J. Tauil (FOR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mischa Koran (FOR) vs. Javier Ortiz (SBU) 6-3, 5-0, DNF
5. Michael Puntillo (FOR) vs. Celso De Vera Rehberger (SBU) 7-5, DNF
6. Max Peara (FOR) def. Trevor Haskell (SBU), 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 1
1. Alastair Barnes/Mischa Koran (SBU) vs. Elliot Fanshel/Ramazan Nureev (SBU) 5-4,
2. Matty Najfeld/Kuba Kowalski (FOR) def. Javier Ortiz/Eduardo Irizarry (SBU) 8-2
3. Michael Puntillo/J.J. Tauil (FOR) def. Trevor Haskell/TJ DeSanto (SBU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The #8 Dayton Flyers advanced to the 2014 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis quarterfinals, surviving a 4-3 battle over #9 Saint Louis in the opening match at Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
The Flyers started strong, earning wins in the top two doubles flights for the first point of the match. UD's Drew Hanley picked up the first singles point, defeating Yehia El Sallaly of Saint Louis, 6-3, 6-4, before Paarth Dodhiawala of Saint Louis took down Colin Bernier, 6-2, 6-4.
The teams then traded singles points, with Dayton leading 3-2. On court four, Vuk Poledica battled Josh Malyon to three sets, winning the eventual tiebreaker, 7-6, to even the match at three points each.
On second singles, Dayton's Bernardo Sanson and Joe Flanagan of Saint Louis traded sets, before Sanson took the tiebreak in the third set, more than three hours after the match began. With the win, the Flyers advance to face #1 George Washington at 10:00 am on Friday.
#8 DAYTON def. #9 SAINT LOUIS, 4-3
1. Pat Kella (SLU) def. Aidan Koross (UD) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
2. Bernarndo Sanson (UD) def. Joe Flanagan (SLU) 7-5, 6-7, 7-6
3. Drew Hanley (UD) def, Yehia El Sallaly (SLU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Vuk Poledica (SLU) def. Josh Malyon (UD) 4-6, 6-1, 6-7
5. Andy Druffel (UD) def. Miguel Flores (SLU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Paarth Dodhiawala (SLU) def. Colin Bernier (UD) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 1, 4, 2
1. Bernardo Sanson/Josh Malyon (UD) def. Pat Kella/Joe Flanagan (SLU) 8-3
2. Aidan Koross/Colin Bernier (UD) def. Yehia El Sallaly/Nishaad Balachandran (SLU) 8-5
3. Enzo Milano/Drew Hanley (UD) vs. Vuk Poledica/Paarth Dodhiawala (UM) 4-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2