CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - After dropping the doubles point, the top-seeded George Washington Colonials (17-6) secured wins in four straight singles matches to defeat No. 2 VCU (15-13) 4-1, on Sunday in the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship.
VCU's No. 3 duo of Jean Baptiste Mateo and Alejandro Argente struck first with an 8-4 win against Viktor Svensson and Ulrik Thomsen. On court two, GW's Nikita Fomin/Danil Zelenkov battled Michal Voscek and Wilder Pimentel to a 7-7 tiebreak, winning 8-7(6), to even the match at one point a piece.
In the deciding doubles match, VCU and GW again knotted at seven, found themselves in a back and forth contest, trading points in the tiebreaker set. VCU's Alexis Heugas and Nick Jones would come out on top over Francisco Dias and Julius Tverijonas, winning the match 8-7(10), to give the Rams the doubles point and 1-0 lead.
George Washington got on the board quickly in singles, winning first sets on courts one, three, four, five and six. GW's No. 1 Francisco Dias defeated Alexis Heugas, 6-3, 6-3 to tie the match at one.
VCU's No. 2 Alejandro Argente picked up the Rams' first set over Nikita Fomin, 6-4, as the Rams gained momentum, rallying back to win second sets on courts three, four, five and six, forcing a third set in each remaining match.
On court three, VCU's Nick Jones picked up the second set, 6-3, but No. 3 Zelenkov would prevail, winning the third set 6-4, giving the Colonials a 2-1 lead.
GW's No. 5 Viktor Svensson finished next, winning set three, 6-4 over Michal Voscek to give George Washington a 3-1 match advantage.
After dropping set one, No. 2 Nikita Fomin fought back to win the second set in a 7-6(4) tiebreaker, forcing a third and final set. Fomin's eventual 6-2 third-set victory clinched the 4-1 match victory for the Colonials, their third A-10 title in four years.
With the win, George Washington, ranked No. 57 nationally, earns the Atlantic 10 Conference's automatic bid to the NCAA. The NCAA field will be announced April 29, at 5:00 pm. For more information, visit NCAA.com.
#1 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #2 VCU, 4-1
1. Francisco Dias (GW) def. Alexis Heugas (VCU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Nikita Fomin (GW) def. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-2
3. Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Nick Jones (VCU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. Julius Tverijonas (GW)vs. Jean Baptiste Mateo (VCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-6, DNF
5. Viktor Svensson (GW) vs. Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
6. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) vs. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) 6-4, 3-6, 4-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 2
1. Alexis Heugas/Nick Jones (VCU) def. Francisco Dias/Julius Tverijonas (GW) 8-7(10)
2. Nikita Fomin/Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Michal Voscek/Wilder Pimentel (VCU) 8-7(6)
3. Jean Baptiste Mateo/Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Viktor Svensson/Ulrik Thomsen (GW) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1