Round 1 Pairings / Tee Times
NCAA Raleigh Regional Central
Davidson Regional Notes (PDF)
2018 NCAA Men's Golf Raleigh Regional
DAVIDSON COLLEGE WILDCATS
Bid: Automatic | Atlantic 10 Conference Champions
Head Coach: Tim Straub (Wake Forest '89) | 18th Season
Date: May 14-16, 2018
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Host: North Carolina State
Course: Lonnie Poole Golf Course
Par | Yardage: 72 | 7,358
Field (Golfstat Rank/Automatic bid): 1. Georgia Tech (4/Atlantic Coast), 2. California (9), 3. Texas (16), 4. Arizona State (21), 5. Duke (28), 6. NC State (36), 7. Liberty (40/Big South), 8. Missouri (45), 9. Santa Clara (52), 10. Campbell (56), 11. Middle Tennessee State (74/Conference USA), 12. Augusta (111/Mid-Eastern Athletic), 13. Davidson (198/Atlantic 10), 14. Iona (268/Metro Atlantic Athletic)
Individuals: 1. Dawson Armstrong (Lipscomb), 2. Mark Lawrence (Virginia Tech), 3. Conor Purcell (Charlotte), 4. Alex Weiss (Marshall), 5. Brendan MacDougall (High Point)
Twitter | Instagram: @DavidsonGolf | DavidsonGolf
DAVIDSON NCAA HISTORY
NCAA Regional Appearances (Last): 1 (2018)
Individual Qualifiers (Last): 9 (2018)
NCAA Championship Appearances: 0
Atlantic 10 Team Titles (Last): 1 (2018)
Southern Conference Team Titles (Last): 5 (1968)
A-10 Individual Medalists (Last): 2 (2018)
SoCon Individual Medalists (Last): 6 (2011)
1937-88 SoCon | 1989-90 Independent | 1993-2014 SoCon | 2014-pres. A-10
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING...
"I am so proud of our team. It is very gratifying to see all of their hard work this entire year pay off with our first A-10 Conference title. The guys played some terrific golf at the conference tournament and hopefully this momentum will carry over to NCAA Regionals. We are all very excited for this next challenge."
Head Coach Tim Straub, 18th Season
"We are extremely excited for this opportunity. Winning conference and advancing to regionals has been a goal for us since the fall, and we are looking forward to competing for a chance to go to Nationals."
Michael Freeman, Sophomore
• Davidson, the 2018 Atlantic 10 Conference Champions, is making its first-ever NCAA Regional appearance as a team.
• The Wildcats captured their first conference title in 50 years with a six-shot victory over preseason favorite Dayton two weeks ago in Orlando, Fla.
• In addition, junior Mike Blasey finished the three-day event at 218 (+2) to win medalist.
• The second straight (Jack Lang - 2017) Wildcat to bring home the individual crown, Blasey is the eighth golfer in program history to win a conference championship.
• Freshman Alex Ross finished third to earn Most Outstanding Rookie (Championship) and A-10 Rookie of the Year, while junior Hoke Carlton joined his teammates in the Top-10, finishing eighth.
• Lang, who leads the team with a 73.96 stroke average, was selected all-conference for the second consecutive season.
• A junior from Lexington, Mass., Lang competed in the 2017 NCAA College Grove Regional last season.
• Sophomore Michael Freeman will also be in the starting lineup for the Wildcats. Senior Nathan Tenpas will be the alternate.
• The Wildcats are coached by Tim Straub, who was voted the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year.
The NCAA Division I Men's Golf Regional is a preliminary round of the NCAA Division I Men's Championship. Each Regional will consist of a 54-hole tournament with 13 or 14 teams and 10 individual players. The low five teams and low individual not included on those five teams will advance to the NCAA Championship that runs May 25-30 at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Oklahoma.