Dayton Volleyball Squaring Off Against Louisville In NCAA Tournament First Round
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - The University of Dayton volleyball team is set to play Louisville Friday in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament, the program's 13th appearance in the national postseason championship. First serve between the Flyers and Cardinals is set for 5:30 p.m. ET at Illinois' Huff Hall.
Match-Day Parking Info
» All university parking lots require a permit on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT and is free after 5 p.m. and on weekends.
» There are numerous metered spaces available surrounding Huff Hall on Gregory Street, Armory Avenue and Fourth Street. University of Illinois meters are enforced until 6 p.m. CT on weekdays.
» All fans can park & ride MTD's tranSPORT service for free from Bielfeldt Athletic Admin Building to Huff Hall. The service runs continuously before, after, & during the matches. See below for details on Volleyball tranSPORT service:
Friday, November 30: Match 1 is at 4:30 p.m. CT & Match 2 is at 7 p.m. CT, MTD Volleyball tranSPORT service begins at 3 p.m. and ends one hour after the completion of the second match.
Saturday, December 1: Match 3 is at 7 p.m. CT. MTD Volleyball tranSPORT service begins at 5:30 p.m. CT and ends one hour after the completion of the third match.
Dayton (23-7) is making the program's 13th appearance in the NCAA Tournament on Friday, its fourth in the last five years. UD earned an automatic berth into national postseason play with a 3-2 win over VCU in the Atlantic 10 Championship final on Nov. 18. The Flyers are led by A-10 Player of the Year senior Lauren Bruns with 4.30 kills/set (25th NCAA) and senior Kendyll Brown who swings at .360 (3rd A-10). On defense, A-10 Libero of the Year senior Margo Wolf passes a team-best 3.85 digs/set (6th A-10) while Brown tallies 1.06 blocks/set (5th A-10).
Louisville (21-8) is making its 27th appearance in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, as one of five ACC teams participating in the championship, and hold a 16-26 record all-time in the tourney. UofL closed out its 2018 regular season on Nov. 23 with a sweep of Georgia Tech on the Cardinals' home court at Cardinal Arena. The Cardinals are led by Melanie McHenry with 3.51 kills/set (8th ACC) and Wilma Rivera sets a team-best 11.12 assists/set (23rd NCAA).
The Flyers and Cardinals have previously met 13 times with UofL holding a slim 7-6 lead in the series. The two last squared off in Dayton on Sept. 20, 2008, with UD claiming a 3-2 win.
In the NCAA's most recent Rating Percentage Index (RPI) for games played through Nov. 24, Dayton currently ranks 28th according to NCAA.com. Louisville comes in at 37.
Last Time Out
The University of Dayton volleyball team defeated VCU, 3-2 (18-25, 25-15, 19-25, 25-16, 15-12), Sunday, Nov. 18 in the finals of the Atlantic 10 Championship. The Flyers claimed their A-10 record 12th tournament title, the program's fourth in the last five years. Dayton's senior Lauren Bruns was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player and was joined on the All-Tournament Team by senior Kendyll Brown and sophomore Brooke Westbeld. Bruns led all attackers with 19 kills while Westbeld posted her fifth triple-double (2nd NCAA) of the season with 12 kills, 22 assists and 16 digs.
• Tim Horsmon is in his 10th season overall, his fifth since 2007, as head coach of the Flyers in 2018. His record at Dayton is 260-72 and his career win-loss mark sits at 436-236 in 20 seasons as a head coach. Horsmon is the program's second-winningest coach behind only R. Elaine Dreidame who amassed 310 wins 1970-79.
• Over the last 10 seasons (2009-2018), the Flyers have recorded a 130-12 (.916) mark in regular season Atlantic 10 Conference play, including a perfect 14-0 mark in 2016, 2015 and 2012 and a 15-0 record in 2010. UD suffered only one conference loss in 2017, 2014, 2011 and 2009.
• Dayton made its 19th-consecutive and 22nd overall appearance in the Atlantic 10 Championship in 2018. The Flyers have reached conference post-season play every year they have been a member of the A-10 except 1995 and 1999. UD holds a 27-10 record in league tournaments.
• Dayton has won the Atlantic 10 Regular Season title 13 times (2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2001, 1998). The Flyers have won the A-10 Championship title a league-record 12 times (2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003) and are making their 13th NCAA appearance in program history in 2018.
• In its 12 previous NCAA Tournament appearances, Dayton has reached the Second Round seven times and the Flyers hold a 7-12 all-time record in NCAA tourney matches.
• With two wins at the 2014 Bowling Green Hampton Inn Invitational, Dayton surpassed the 1,000-win mark as a program to become just the 13th NCAA DI team to attain that level of success. The Flyers currently rank 12th all-time in the Division I record book with an overall program tally of 1,131-589 (.658) over 48 seasons (1970).
• The Flyers finished the 2018 season with a 23-7 overall record and a 12-2 Atlantic 10 mark, finishing in second place in regular-season league play. 2018 is the program's 40th winning season and its 31st 20-win season.