UMass, Saint Louis Advance to #A10WTEN Quarters with Wednesday Victories
ORLANDO - The third-seeded Massachusetts Minutewomen advanced to the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Conference Women's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 victory over No. 14 La Salle on Wednesday at the USTA National Campus.
The No. 2 doubles pair of Jodie Lawrence-Taylor and Anna Napadiy made quick work, earning a 6-0 advantage, before Ruth Crawford and Ashley Avery clinched the doubles point at No. 3 with a 6-1 victory to give UMass the early 1-0 lead.
In singles play, Jovana Bogicevic (No. 6), Napadiy (No. 4) and Martina Bocchi (No. 5) dispatched their opponents, dropping just one set between the three courts to earn the 4-0 sweep of the Explorers.
With the victory, the Minutewomen will take on the winner of Richmond/Dayton on Thursday at 6 pm.
#3 MASSACHUSETTS def. #14 LA SALLE, 4-0
- Janja Kovacevic (UM) vs. Tiffany Theophil (LAS) 6-2, 3-0, DNF
- Jodie Lawrence-Taylor (UM) vs. Alison Snyder (LAS) 6-2, 0-1, DNF
- Ruth Crawford (UM) vs. Brittany Poje (LAS) 6-6, DNF
- Anna Napadiy (UM) def. Aleks Nikolic (LAS) 6-0, 6-0
- Martina Bocchi (UM) def. Jazmin Walle (LAS) 6-1, 6-0
- Jovana Bogicevic (UM) def. Maansi Malhotra (LAS) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5
- Janja Kovacevic/Martina Bocchi (UM) vs. Tiffany Theophil/Alison Snyder (LAS) 5-2
- Jodie Lawrence-Taylor/Anna Napadiy (UM) def. Brittany Poje/Aleks Nikolic (LAS) 6-0
- Ruth Crawford/Ashley Avery (UM) def. Jazmin Walle/Maansi Malhotra (LAS) 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3
ORLANDO - Alba Salinas clinched the 4-3 victory for the ninth-seeded Saint Louis Billikens with a three-set victory at No. 5 singles to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2019 A-10 Women's Tennis Championship, held at the USTA National Campus.
The Billikens struck first in doubles play as Salinas and partner Mika Misgav won in the No. 2 spot, 6-3, before the top pair of Cassie and Ally McKenzie netted a 6-4 victory for SLU.
Rhode Island, the eight-seed, struck back with their first point at No. 1 singles where Erin Chratian earned a straight-set victory, 6-1, 6-3 against Cassie McKenzie. Halah Davis gave the Rams a 2-1 match lead with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles. Finishing next, Ally McKenzie recorded a straight-set victory of her own at No. 2 singles to knot the match a 2-2, but URI's Ariel Haber flipped the score back Rhode Island's way with a three-set victory at No. 6 singles against Alana Bourgeios.
After dropping her first set, Misgav fought back for a three-set win (4-6, 6-1, 6-2) in the third flight to tie the match at 3 apiece.
The match would come down to a marathon battle at No. 5 singles between URI's Pualina Loredo and Salinas. Loredo grabbed the first set, 7-6, before Salinas came from behind to take the second, 6-4. Riding the momentum of her second set victory, Salinas clinched the team victory with her third-set 6-1 win.
The Billikens will take on top-seeded VCU on Thursday at 3 pm.
#9 SAINT LOUIS def. #8 RHODE ISLAND, 4-3
1. Erin Chratian (URI) def. Cassie McKenzie (SLU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Ally McKenzie (SLU) def. Tiara Higuchi (URI) 6-2, 6-3
3. Mika Misgav (SLU) def. Mihaela Cordreanu (URI) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Halah Davis (URI) def. Ariana Rodriguez (SLU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Alba Salinas (SLU) def. Pualina Loredo (URI) 6-7, 6-4, 6-1
6. Ariel Haber (URI) def. Alana Bourgeois (SLU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 6, 3, 5
1. Cassie McKenzie/Ally McKenzie (SLU) def. Erin Chratian/Mihaela Cordreanu (URI) 6-4
2. Mika Misgav/Alba Salinas (SLU) def. Tiara Higuchi/Pualina Loredo (URI) 6-3
3. Halah Davis/Sydney Chratian (URI) vs. Alana Bourgeois/Ariana Rodridguez (SLU) 5-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1