VCU Claims Sixth #A10WTEN Championship in Seven Years
ORLANDO - The top-seeded VCU Rams won their sixth Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship title in the last seven years, defeating cross-town rival, Richmond, 4-0 at the USTA National Campus on Saturday. With the win, the Rams earn the A-10's automatic bid to the NCAA Women's Tennis Championship.
The Spiders were first to strike in doubles play when the top pair of Emily Dunbar and Kiana Marshall won 6-4. VCU's Marina Alcaide and Sofia Sualehe, on third doubles, were the next to finish, 6-3 to even up the score. The Rams pair on court two, Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado and Melissa Ifidzhen served for the match and doubles point, winning 6-4.
In singles play, the Rams played at a rapid pace, taking first-set victories on each of the six courts. Kanako Yano, at No. 4 singles, was the first to earn a point, completing her second set a perfect 6-0 to put the Rams up 2-0. VCU's top player, Paola Delgado finished next, taking straight-sets, 6-2, 6-1 against Emily Dunbar.
With both Marina Alcaide at No. 3 and Melissa Ifidzhen at No. 6 up 5-1 with match point, Ifidzhen clinched her match first 6-2, 6-1 to seal the victory for VCU.
Since joining the A-10 in 2013, VCU has won all but one Championship title (UMass, 2017).
#1 VCU def. #6 RICHMOND, 4-0
1. Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado (VCU) def. Emily Dunbar (UR) 6-2, 6-1
2. Anna Rasmussen (VCU) vs. Kiana Marshall (UR) 6-3, 2-1, DNF
3. Marina Alcaide (VCU) vs. Dessi Zlateva (UR) 6-1, 5-1, DNF
4. Kanako Yano (VCU) def. Lea Owens (UR) 6-3, 6-0
5. Noumea Witmus (VCU) vs. Helene Heiberg (UR) 6-3, 4-1, DNF
6. Melissa Ifidzhen (VCU) def. Ana Ramirez (UR) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6
1. Emily Dunbar/Kiana Marshall (UR) def. Anna Rasmussen/Noumea Witmus (VCU) 6-4
2. Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado/Melissa Ifidzhen (VCU) def. Dessi Zlateva/Lea Owens (UR) 6-4
3. Marina Alcaide/Sofia Sualehe (VCU) def. Lyndell Giffenig/Adrienne Haynes (UR) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2