Make It A THREE-PEAT For VCU Men's Tennis, Rams Take Down Richmond 4-0 in Championship Final
ORLANDO - The top-seeded VCU Rams made it a three-peat, defeating cross-town rival, No. 2 Richmond in the finals of the Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Tennis Championship, held at the USTA National Campus.
The Rams took an early match lead in doubles play on the top two courts. Javier Amantegui and Rayane Stable closed out George Lovitt and John Walsh with a 6-2 decision. Inigo Torre Martin and Arvid Noren then won on court No. 1, 6-3 to clinch the opening match point.
VCU quickly record first set victories on all courts except No. 5, where Campbell Erwin battled for the 6-3 first set score.
At No. 4 singles, Torre Martin didn't drop a set, giving the Rams a 2-0 match lead before Philip Mobius extended the VCU lead with a 6-0-6-2 victory at No. 3.
The Spiders' Klein Evans and Erwin each faced third sets at No. 2 and No. 5, while Joseph Nardini was locked at 4-4 in the second set at No. 6. The match would come down to the top court with Stable battling against Matt Fernandez. Stable held serve to take the 6-3 second set victory and clinch the 4-0 decision for VCU.
This is the third straight A-10 title for the Rams, and fourth since winning their first year in the league (2013). The Rams earn the A-10's automatic bid to the NCAA Men's Tennis Championship. The Rams will learn their matchup during the selection show on Monday, April 29 at 6 pm.
The women's squad also won their title in Orlando and will play in the NCAA Women's Tennis Championship.
#1 VCU def. #2 RICHMOND, 4-0
1. Rayane Stable (VCU) def. Matt Fernandez (UR) 6-4, 6-3
2. Arvid Noren (VCU) vs. Klein Evans (UR) 6-3, 3-6, DNF
3. Philip Mobius (VCU) def. John Walsh (UR) 6-0, 6-2
4. Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. George Lovitt (UR) 6-0, 6-0
5. Javier Amantegui (VCU) vs. Cambell Erwin (UR) 3-6, 6-0, 3-3, DNF
6. Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCU) vs. Joseph Nardini (UR) 6-3, 4-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1
1. Inigo Torre Martin/Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Matthew Fernandez/Joshua Keitelman (UR) 6-3
2. Javier Amantegui/Rayane Stable (VCU) def. George Lovitt/John Walsh (UR) 6-2
3. Inaki Rivero Crespo/Philip Mobius (VCU) vs. Campbell Erwin/Klein Evans (UR) 5-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1