Ticket Galaxy

UMass Lax Defeats UConn 14-10 To Advance To NCAA Second Round

Release: 05/11/2013
Print RSS
Courtesy: -

May 11, 2013

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - While a thunderstorm delay suspended play for over an hour, it was a four-goal spurt when play resumed that ended a 29-year drought for the No. 15/8 UMass women's lacrosse team as the Minutewomen defeated No. 18/19 UConn for their first NCAA Tournament win since 1984. UMass will now advance to Sunday's NCAA Second Round match-up against host and seventh-seed Penn State.

  • Box\ Score
  • Penn\ State\ Tournament\ Central

The win improves UMass to 18-2, while UConn ends it season at 13-5. The win was the 15th consecutive for the Minutewomen.

Sam Rush and Katie Ferris each scored four goals to lead UMass, while Lauren Terracciano added two goals and two assists. Cori Murray (1 goal, 2 assists) and Tanner Guarino (2 goals, 1 assist) each had three points as well. Jamie Schiloski (6 saves) earned the win in goal to improve to 8-0 on the season. Kelsey McGovern returned to the line-up after missing two games with a knee injury to haul down eight draw controls moving her one away from tying the UMass single-season record of 109.

UConn was led by Kacey Pippitt and Lauren Kahn who each scored four goals. Carly Palmucci had two assists, while Alexandra Crofts had a goal and an assist. Shannon Nee made five saves in goal taking the loss.

The Minutewomen led 3-2 with 15:36 left in the first half when a band of severe thunderstorms forced suspension of play. After a one-hour, 17-minute delay, the two teams resumed play with the Huskies scoring first to tie the game with 12:22 to go.

Rush scored back-to-back goals after that sparking a four-goal run with goals from Guarino and Cori Murray to put UMass up 7-3 with 6:52 mark.

The UMass defense held the Huskies to just one more goal in the first half, while a Terracciano goal with 1:40 before intermission gave the Minutewomen an 8-4 lead at the break.

The Huskies scored the first two goals of the second half, but Rush and Ferris combined to answer the flurry keeping the UMass lead at four, 10-6.

The two teams continued to trade goals over the next 14 minutes with the Minutewomen finding an answer everytime UConn scored.

Ferris' fourth of the day can on the heels of a Terracciano goal and gave UMass a 14-9 lead with 5:49 to go. The Huskies tacked on the final goal with three seconds left after the Minutewomen were able to run the bulk of time off the clock with extended offensive possessions.

UMass held a 27-to-19 advantage in shots and a 16-to-9 edge in draw controls thanks in part to the return of McGovern. With a steady down pour in the second half, both teams struggled in transition with UMass converting 11-of-18 clears for the game and UConn going 9-of-16.

The win marked UMass' first NCAA Tournament win since May 12, 1984 - the last time UMass was able to make the NCAA Second Round. It also snapped a span of four-consecutive NCAA First Round losses for the Minutewomen and marked the first NCAA postseason win for head coach Angela McMahon.

It's On Us