April 18, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - The quarterfinal field has been set in the 2013 Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship. Each of the top four seeds, VCU, Xavier, Massachusetts and Richmond advanced to the Friday's round with wins yesterday at Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va. In the second session, Temple, Charlotte, Fordham and George Washington clinched spots in the second round.
Top-seeded VCU posted their first Atlantic 10 Championship victory as they completed the 4-0 sweep of No. 16 La Salle in the first round of the 2013 Women's Tennis Championship. The Rams earned the doubles point with a pair of 8-0 victories, before recording three perfect singles matches to finish off the Explorers.
The Rams will play the winner of today's Saint Louis/Temple match in the quarterfinals tomorrow at 10:00am.
#1 VCU def. #16 La Salle, 4-0
1. Cindy Chala (VCU) vs. Kiara Smith (LAS) 6-1, 4-0, DNF
2. Yukako Noi (VCU) vs. Celesta Smith (LAS) 6-3, DNF
3. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) vs. Caitlin Coelho (LAS) 6-1, 2-1 DNF
4. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Chloe Trave (LAS) 6-0, 6-0
5. Olga Barscheheuskaya (VCU) def. Jenna Manzione (LAS) 6-0, 6-0
6. Karyna Alesha (VCU) def. Allison Amrein (LAS) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4
1. Olga Barscheheuskaya/Yukako Noi (VCU) def. Celesta Smith/Caitlin Coelho 8-0
2. Josefin Hjertquist/Cindy Chala (VCU) vs. Kiara Smith/Chloe Trave (LAS) 7-1, DNF
3. Olga Terteac/Karyna Alesha (VCU) def. Jenna Manzione/Allison Amrein (LAS) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
The 2012 defending A-10 Champions Richmond Spiders defeated No. 13 Butler 4-0 today to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2013 Women's Tennis Championship.
The Spiders opened up the match with a 8-4 number three victory before Butler secured the number one spot. Richmond took the deciding doubles point in a tight battle (9-8 (1)) between Elizabeth Sims/Alexandra Smith and Butler's Stephanie McLoughlin/Konstantina Adami.
Richmond then captured three singles victories, each in straight sets, to finish off the Bulldgos. The Spiders will face the winner of the Charlotte/Rhode Island match tomorrow at 10:00 am.
#4 Richmond def. #13 Butler, 4-0
1. Melissa Kandinata (UR) vs. Caroline Hedrick (BU) 6-3, 3-1, DNF
2. Stephanie McLoughlin (BU) vs. Elizabeth Sims (UR) 6-2, 5-2, DNF
3. Anna Abadias (UR) vs. Brittany Farmer (BU) 6-2, 4-4, DNF
4. Katya Salas (UR) def. Konstantina Adami (BU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Alexandra Smyth (UR) def. Lauren Shull (BU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Emily Gitman (UR) def. Sienna Reuter (BU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5
1. Caroline Hedrick/Brittany Farmer (BU) def. Melissa Kandinata/Katya Salas (UR) 8-6
2. Elizabeth Sims/Alexandra Smyth (UR) def. Stephanie McLoughlin/Konstantina Adami (BU) 9-8 (1)
3. Anna Abadias/Emily Gitman (UR) def. Sienna Reuter/Laura Shull (BU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Second-seeded Xavier rolled to a 4-0 sweep of No. 15 St. Bonaventure this afternoon to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2013 A-10 Women's Tennis Championship. The Musketeers will face the winner of the Duquesne/Fordham matchup.
Xavier gained momentum early in the match with a pair of doubles victories over St. Bonaventure, before taking three straight set singles wins at the one, four and five spots to secure their place in the quarterfinals.
#2 Xavier def. #15 St. Bonaventure, 4-0
1. Alexandra Brinker (XU) def. Fatya Amiri (SBU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Marisa Brossard (SBU) vs. Kally Alkire (XU) 6-2, 3-1, DNF
3. Daniella Patton vs. (XU) vs. Kathryn Kvas (SBU) 6-0, 2-2, DNF
4. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU) def. Taylor Cole (SBU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ally Westling (XU) def. Riley Archer (SBU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Megan Morris (XU) vs. Jillian Hammell (SBU) 6-2, 4-0, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 1
1. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman (XU) vs. Fatya Amiri/Marisa Brossard (SBU) 7-1, DNF
2. Daniella Patton/Ally Westling (XU) def. Kathryn Kvas/Taylor Cole (SBU) 8-4
3. Alexandra Brinker/Andrea Wolf (XU) def. Riley Archer/Jillian Hammell (SBU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
The Massachusetts Minutewomen defeated No. 14 Dayton, 5-0 today in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship. UMass advances to tomorrow's quarterfinal round and await the winner of the George Washington/Saint Joseph's match.
Massachusetts earned the doubles point with victories from the number one and three positions, then finished off the Flyers in singles play. The deciding singles victories for UMass came on the five and six courts, with play ending simultaneously.
#3 Massachusetts def. #14 Dayton, 5-0
1. Sonia Bokhari (UM) def. Sammi Hornbarger (UD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Yuliana Motyl (UM) vs. Carley Peck (UD) 6-2, 0-2, UNF
3. Arielle Griffin (UM) def. Maureen Stevens (UD) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jessica Podlofsky (UM) vs. Katie Boeckman (UD) 6-4, 0-2, UNF
5. Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Claire McNulty (UD) 6-2, 6-2*
6. Chantal Swiszcz (UM) def. Erin Filbradt (UD) 6-1, 6-1*
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 6
*Final singles matches finished simultaneously
1. Yuliana Motyl/Chantal Swiszcz (UM) def. Maureen Stevens/Katie Boeckman (UD) 8-3
2. Arielle Griffin/Jessica Podlofsky (UM) vs. Claire McNulty/Carley Peck (UD) 5-4, UNF
3. Sonia Bokhari/Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Sammi Hornbarger/Erin Filbradt (UD) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3
Fifth-seeded Charlotte advanced to the quarterfinal round of the A-10 Women's Tennis Championship with a convincing 4-0 victory against No. 12 Rhode Island. The 49ers will face No. 4 Richmond in tomorrow's match, slated to begin at 10:00am.
Charlotte jumped out to an early 1-0 advantage, posting wins in number one and three doubles. The 49ers clinched the victory, taking three straight set singles against Rhode Island.
#5 Charlotte def. #12 Rhode Island, 4-0
1. Alex Zinn (CHA) vs. Galina Chernykh (URI) 6-4, 4-1, DNF
2. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHA) def. Nithila Asokaraj (URI) 6-3, 6-0
3. Lisa Grosselius (CHA) vs. Kathleen Uy (URI) 7-6 (7), 1-0, DNF
4. Tyler Baker (CHA) def. Lisa Sadovnikova (URI) 6-0, 6-1
5. Anna Ekelund (CHA) def. Lauren Benoit (URI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Iveta Guneva (CHA) vs. Kristin Bertsch (URI) 7-5, 3-0, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2
1. Lisa Grosselius/Anna Ekelund (CHA) def. Galina Chernykh/Kathleen Uy (URI) 9-7
2. Natsuko Takayanagi/Tyler Baker (CHA) vs. Nithila Asokaraj/Lisa Sadovnikova (URI) 7-4, DNF
3. Jessica Perez/Alex Zinn (CHA) def. Karolina Wojciak/Kristin Bertsch (URI) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
Despite losing the opening doubles point, the No. 9 Temple Owls came back with four consecutive singles victories to earn a spot in the quarterfinal round of the 2013 Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship.
Saint Louis started strong, earning the doubles point with wins from the number one and two spots. The Owls retalitated in singles play, however, rattling off wins from the two, three, four and five singles spots to claim the victory.
Temple will face No. 1 VCU in tomorrow's quarterfinal match at 10:00am.
#9 Temple def. #8 Saint Louis, 4-1
1. Alicia Doms (TU) vs. Stephanie Hollis (SLU) 7-5, 3-6, 0-0, DNF
2. Jordan Batey (TU) def. Mia Elmore (SLU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Yana Mavrina (TU) def. Brooke Urzendowski (SLU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Rebecca Breland (TU) def. Maddie Cook (SLU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
5. Ama Osei (TU) def. Maria Toro (SLU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Carly Bohman (TU) vs. Natalia Yacaman (SLU) 6-3, 4-6, 5-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3, 4
1. Stephanie Hollis/Mia Elmore (SLU) def. Jordan Batey/Alicia Doms (TU) 8-6
2. Brooke Urzendowski/Maddie Cook (SLU) def. Ama Osei/Carly Bohman (TU) 8-4
3. Yana Mavrina/Rebecca Breland (TU) vs. Maria Toro/Natalia Yacaman (SLU) 7-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
In the tightest battle of the day, No. 6 George Washington outlasted No. 11 Saint Joseph's to advance to the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship.
The Colonials gained an early advantage in the match, winning doubles on the second and third courts to earn the doubles point for GW.
GW and Saint Joseph's would trade singles matches before the Hawks knotted the match at three with a victory from Kelly Mulquin in No. 5 singles. With a quarterfinals spot on the line, Colonials' Mimi Hamling held off SJU to clinch the victory, 4-3.
The Colonials will face #3 Massachusetts in the quarterfinals, Friday at 1:00pm.
#6 George Washington def. #11 Saint Joseph’s, 4-3
1. Casey Robinson (SJU) def. Leah Pascarella (GW) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Lana Robins (GW) 6-0, 0-6, 6-4
3. Stephanie Wei (GW) def. Kristina Eisenrand (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Mimi Hamling (GW) def. Devi Jadeja (SJU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) def. Egle Jakuciunaite (GW) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
6. Christie Carpenter (GW) def. Lauren Roy (SJU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4
1. Leah Pascarella/Mimi Hamling (GW) vs. Casey Robinson/Aurora Davis (SJU) 8-8 (4-2), DNF
2. Lana Robins/Dorota Lysenia (GW) def. Kristina Eisenbrand/Lauren Roy (SJU) 8-2
3. Egle Jakuciunaite/Stephanie Wei (GW) def. Kelly Mulquin/Devi Jadeja (SJU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3
The Fordham Rams rattled off four singles victories over No. 10 Duquesne to clinch a spot in the quarterfinals of the A-10 Women's Tennis Championship. The Rams will face No 2. Xavier in the 1:00pm match on Friday.
Fordham gained momentum early with a No. 3 doubles victory when the Dukes rallied back for wins on the first and second courts, earning the doubles point. The Rams then posted four consectuve straight set finishes, holding off Duquesne to move on to the quarterfinals.
#7 Fordham def. #10 Duquesne, 4-1
1. Amy Simidian (FOR) def. Judy Li (DUQ) 6-3, 6-2
2. Sarah Ali (FOR) def. Megan O’Sullivan (DUQ) 6-2, 6-0
3. Sarah Shashura (DUQ) vs. Angie Dabu (FOR) 7-5, 3-2, DNF
4. Bella Genkina (FOR) def. Alrissa Tobe (DUQ) 6-1, 6-4
5. Alexa Miller (DUQ) vs. Julie Leong (FOR) 6-2, 5-2, DNF
6. Anika Novacek (FOR) def. Chandler Consonery (DUQ) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 4, 1
1. Megan O’Sullivan/Sarah Shashura (DUQ) def. Amy Simidian/Sarah Ali (FOR) 8-4
2. Judy Li/Alexa Miller (DUQ) def. Bella Genkina/Anika Novacek (FOR) 8-6
3. Angie Dabu/Julie Leong (FOR) Chandler Consonery/Laurence Lambert (DUQ) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2