April 19, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - The top four seeds in this year's Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship have advanced to the semifinals and will play tomorrow for a chance at the finals . No. 1 VCU will face crosstown rival No. 4 Richmond at 10:00am, while No. 3 Massachusetts will take on No. 2 Xavier in the 1:00pm slot. The Championship match will take place on Sunday, April 21 at 10:00am at Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
The VCU Rams swept Temple, 4-0, in the opening quarterfinal match to earn the first spot in the semifinals.
VCU and Temple traded wins on the first and third doubles matches before VCU's No. 2 pair of Cindy Chala and Josefin Hjertquist held on for a 8-3 victory, clinching the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage.
In singles play, the Rams picked up straight set wins from the number four, five and six spots to complete the sweep. VCU awaits the winner of the Richmond/Charlotte match and will play its semifinal match at 10:00am Saturday.
#1 VCU def. #9 Temple, 4-0
1. Cindy Chala (VCU) vs. Alicia Doms (TU) 6-0, 3-4, DNF
2. Yukako Noi (VCU) vs. Jordan Batey (TU) 6-4, 3-2, DNF
3. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) vs. Yana Mavrina (TU) 6-3, 3-1, DNF
4. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Rebecca Breland (TU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Olga Barscheheuskaya (VCU) def. Ama Osei (TU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Karyna Alesha (VCU) def. Minami Okajima (TU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4
1. Olga Barscheheuskaya/Yukako Noi (VCU) def. Alicia Doms/Jordan Batey (TU) 8-2
2. Josefin Hjertquist/Cindy Chala def. (VCU) Minami Okajima/Ama Osei (TU) 8-3
3. Yana Mavrina/Rebecca Breland (TU) def. Olga Terteac/Karyna Alesha (VCU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
In a thrilling match that lasted nearly four hours, the No. 4 Richmond Spiders outlasted No. 5 Charlotte, 4-3, to clinch a spot in the A-10 semifinals.
Charlotte opened the match with wins on the number one and two doubles courts, earning the doubles point and a 1-0 advantage. The 49ers continued to gain momentum as they took down Richmond's number five and number two singles, extending their lead to 3-0.
The Spiders fought their way back into the match with three consecutive straight set wins from Katya Salas, Anna Abadias and Emily Gitman, knotting the match at 3-3.
After dropping the first set to Charlotte's Alex Zinn, Richmond's Melissa Kandinata rallied back (2-6, 6-3, 6-4) to finish the match and lift the Spiders to the semifinal round on Saturday.
#4 Richmond #5 def. Charlotte, 4-3
1. Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Alex Zinn (CHA) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHA) def. Elizabeth Sims (UR) 6-3, 6-2
3. Anna Abadias (UR) def. Lisa Grosselius (CHA) 7-5, 6-3
4. Katya Salas (UR) def. Tyler Baker (CHA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Anna Ekelund (CHA) def. Alexandra Smyth (UR) 6-0, 6-2
6. Emily Gitman (UR) def. Iveta Guneva (CHA) 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1
1. Lisa Grosselius/Anna Ekelund (CHA) def. Melissa Kandinata/Kayta Salas (UR) 8-4
2. Natsuko Takayanagi/Tyler Baker (CHA) def. Elizabeth Sims/Alexandra Smyth (UR) 8-5
3. Anna Abadias/Emily Gitman (UR) vs. Jessica Perez/Alex Zinn (CHA) 7-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
Second-seeded Xavier moved on to the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis semifinals with a 4-3 win over Fordham this afternoon in Charlottesville.
Fordham's No. 3 pair picked up the first doubles match, but Xavier earned the doubles point wins on the first and second tandem matchups.
In singles play, Fordham struck first on No. 6 singles when Anika Novacek defeated Lizzie Oosterbaan in straight sets. Xavier would then take the next two singles points from the number four and one spots to go up 3-1 on the Rams.
Fordham retaliated with two singles wins of their own, knotting the match at 3-3. On the number two singles court, Xavier freshman Alex Brinker battled Fordham sophomore Sarah Ali, tied at a set apiece.
With a semifinal spot on the line, the match rested on the No. 2 singles finale. Brinker, who finished her regular season with 20 straight singles wins, outlasted Ali, taking the final set 7-5 and cementing Xavier's bid to the semifinals. The Musketeers will play No. 3 Massachusetts at 1:00pm, Saturday.
#2 XAVIER DEF. #7 FORDHAM, 4-3
1. Katie Pleiman (XU) def. Amy Simidian (FOR) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alex Brinker (XU) def. Sarah Ali (FOR) 7-6(4), 4-6, 7-5
3. Angelika Dabu (FOR) def. Kally Alkire (XU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Daniella Patton (XU) def. Bella Genkina (FOR) 6-0, 6-4
5. Julie Leong (FOR) def. Andrea Wolf (XU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Anika Novacek (FOR) def. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 1, 3, 5, 2
1. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman (XU) def. Sarah Ali/Amy Simidian (FOR) 8-4
2. Daniella Patton/Ally Westling (XU) def. Bella Genkina/Anika Novacek (FOR) 8-2
3. Angelika Dabu/Julie Leong (FOR) def. Alex Brinker/Megan Morris (XU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
The final spot in the Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship went to third-seeded Massachusetts, who defeated No. 6 George Washington this afternoon, 4-2. The Colonials will face Xavier in Saturday's late semifinal match, slated to begin at 1:00pm.
The Minutewomen gained the early point advantage over GW, earning 8-3 and 8-1 wins in the doubles competition. UMass took a 3-0 lead in the match with two singles points on the five and three courts, but George Washington would come within reach when they recorded a victory in number six and one singles.
The clinching point came on Jessica Podlofsky's No. 4 straight set singles win, putting UMass in the semifinals for the second straight year and will face No. 2 Xavier at 1:00pm Saturday.
#3 MASSACHUSETTS DEF. #6 GEORGE WASHINGTON, 4-2
1. Leah Pascarella (GW) def. Sonia Bokhari (UM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Lana Robins (GW) vs. Yuliana Motyl (UM) 4-6, 6-2, 5-0, DNF
3. Arielle Griffin (UM) def. Stephanie Wei (GW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jessica Podlofsky (UM) def. Mimi Hamling (GW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Egle Jakuciunaite (GW) 6-2, 6-1
6. Christina Carpenter (GW) def. Chantal Swiszcz (UM) 7-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 1, 4
1. Yuliana Motyl/Chantal Swiszcz (UM) vs. Leah Pascarella/Mimi Hamling (GW) 7-5, DNF
2. Arielle Griffin/Jessica Podlofsky (UM) def. Lana Robins/Dorota Lysienia (GW) 8-3
3. Sonia Bokhari/Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Egle Jakuciunaite/Stephanie Wei (GW) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2