CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - With a 4-1 win over No. 6 Saint Joseph's, the third-seeded Duquesne Dukes moved on to the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship.
Duquesne's first and third doubles flights each picked up a victory, giving Duquesne the early 1-0 advantage. Pete Carpenter and Alex Aleman defeated Jose Sierra and Pierre Brondeau, 8-3, while Rich Robbie and Harry Walshe clinched an 8-2 decision against Dan Barrus and Paranjay Malhotra.
The Dukes then extended their lead, 2-0, with a win at No. 3 singles as Aleman downed Barrus, 6-2, 6-0. Saint Joseph's Jose Sierra took the top flight, earning a 6-2, 6-3 win against Robbie, cutting Duquesne's lead to one.before a win from Pete Carpenter at No. 2 singles (6-4, 6-1) gave Duquesne the 3-1 lead.
After dropping his first set, Mehdi Mekaoui defeated Tristan Boustany (1-6, 6-2, 6-4) for the fourth and final point of the match for the Dukes.
With the win, Duquesne advances to face No. 2 VCU in the 1:00 pm semifinal match on Saturday.
#3 DUQUESNE def. #6 SAINT JOSEPH’S, 4-1
1. Jose Sierra (SJU) def. Rich Robbie (DUQ) 6-2, 6-3
2. Pete Carpenter (DUQ) def. Pierre Brondeau (SJU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Alex Aleman (DUQ) def. Dan Barrus (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Corey Robinson (DUQ) vs. Andres Urrea (SJU) 6-4, 6-5, DNF
5. Kyle Chalmers (SJU) vs. Max Rubin (DUQ) 7-6, DNF
6. Mehdi Mekaoui (DUQ) def. Tristan Boustany (SJU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 6
1. Pete Carpenter/Alex Aleman (DUQ) def. Jose Sierra/Pierre Brondeau (SJU) 8-3
2. Corey Robinson/Max Rubin (DUQ) vs. Kyle Chalmers/Andres Urrea (SJU), DNF
3. Rich Robbie/Harry Walshe (DUQ) def. Dan Barrus/Paranjay Malhotra (SJU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The VCU Rams continued its success in the A-10 Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 win against tenth-seeded Fordham in the quarterfinals at Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
With wins from first and second doubles, VCU took an early 1-0 lead in the match. Michal Voscek and Wilder Pimentel defeated Matty Najfeld and Kuba Kowalski, 8-4, before Alexis Heugas and Nick Jones clinched the doubles point for VCU, 8-6.
In singles action, VCU gained a quick 2-0 advantage when senior Kuba Kowalski retired from the match due to injury, trailing 1-0. Nick Jones and Michal Voscek each earned straight set wins to complete the sweep, sending VCU to its second straight semifinal appearance as an A-10 member. The Rams will face No. 3 Duquesne in the 1:00 pm semifinal match.MATCH #7
#2 VCU def. #10 FORDHAM, 4-0
1. Alexis Heugas (VCU) vs. Matty Najfeld (FOR) 6-4, 4-4, DNF
2. Alejandro Argente (VCU) vs. Alastair Barnes (FOR) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0, DNF
3. Nick Jones (VCU) def. J.J. Tauil (FOR) 6-0, 6-1
4. Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Mischa Koran (FOR) 6-2, 6-1
5. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) def. Michael Puntillo (FOR) 6-4, 3-0, DNF
6. Vuk Velickovic (VCU) def. Kuba Kowalski (FOR), 1-0 ret.
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4
1. Alexis Heugas/Nick Jones (VCU) def. Alastair Barnes/Mischa Koran (FOR) 8-6
2. Michal Voscek/Wilder Pimentel (VCU) def. Matti Najfeld/Kuba Kowalski 8-4
3. Vuk Velickovic/Alejandro Argente (VCU) vs. Michael Puntillo/J.J. Tauil (FOR) 4-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The No. 4 Richmond Spiders defeated local rival and A-10 newcomer, No. 5 George Mason, 4-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship at Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottlesville, Va.
Richmond gained an early advantage, taking the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and 3 doubles. George Mason's Taylor Sargent and Taylor Baine struck first, winning 8-2 against Alex Hahn and Canyon Teague. The Spiders duo of brothers Ethan and Jacob Dunbar tied it up, taking down Jimmy Lange and Joe Hill, 8-4. Dylan Trent and Jonathan Quenard then clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 victory on court three.
Behind top singles Ethan Dunbar, the Spiders took an early 2-0 lead, defeating Jimmy Davis, 6-2, 6-0. George Mason's Jimmy Lange retaliated with a win at No. 3 singles (6-3, 6-0), to bring the Patriots within one.
Richmond's Jacob Dunbar recorded his 22nd straight victory at No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-3, before Jonathan Quenard clinched on court six, 6-2, 7-5 over Taylor Sargent.
The Spiders advance to the semifinals and will face No. 1 George Washington, Saturday at 10:00 am.MATCH #4
#4 RICHMOND def. #5 GEORGE MASON, 4-1
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) def. Jimmy Davis (GMU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Joe Hill (GMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jimmy Lange (GMU) def. Dylan Trent (UR) 6-3, 6-0
4. Alex Hahn (UR) vs. Aaron Capitel (GMU) 6-4, 2-6, 3-3, DNF
5. Tanner Baine (GMU) vs. Canyon Teague (UR) 6-2, 3-6, 2-2, DNF
6. Jonathan Quenard (UR) def. Taylor Sargent (GMU) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2, 6
1. Ethan Dunbar/Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Jimmy Lange/Joe Hill (GMU) 8-4
2. Taylor Sargent/Taylor Baine (GMU) def. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (UR) 8-2
3. Dylan Trent/Jonathan Quenard (UR) def. Jimmy Davis/Chris Borden (GMU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Top-seeded George Washington moved on to the semifinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 sweep of No. 8 Dayton Flyers.
Viktor Svensson and Ulrik Thomsen defeated Drew Hanley and Enzo Milano, 8-3, on court three, before the No. 2 duo of Nikita Fomin and Danil Zelenkov used a come-from-behind victory to clinch the doubles point, winning 8-5 against Aidan Koross and Colin Bernier.
In singles action, No. 6 Thomsen picked up a straight set win over Bernier, 6-0, 6-1, followed by No. 4 Julius Tverijonas, who defeated Josh Malyon, 6-1, 6-2 to give the Colonials a 3-0 lead. Viktor Svensson clinched the match for GW with a 6-4, 6-1 decision over Dayton's Andy Druffel on court five.
The Colonials will face No. 4 Richmond in Saturday's 10:00 am semifinal match.
#1 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #8 DAYTON, 4-0
1. Francisco Dias (GW) vs. Aidan Koross (UD) 6-4, 0-3, DNF
2. Bernardo Sanson (UD) vs. Nikita Fomin (GW) 7-6, 1-1, DNF
3. Danil Zelenkov (GW) vs. Drew Hanley (UD) 6-1, 3-2, DNF
4. Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. Josh Malyon (UD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Viktor Svensson (GW) def. Andy Druffel (UD) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) def. Colin Bernier (UD) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5
1. Francisco Dias/Julius Tverijonas (GW) vs. Bernardo Sanson/Josh Malyon (UD) 5-5, DNF
2. Nikita Fomin/Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Aidan Koross/Colin Bernier (UD) 8-5
3. Viktor Svensson/Ulrik Thomsen (GW) def. Drew Hanley/Enzo Milano (UD) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2