CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - With a 4-0 sweep of No. 3 Duquesne, the second-seeded VCU Rams advance to its second consecutive A-10 Men's Tennis Championship match. The Rams will face No. 1 George Washington in the Championship finale Sunday, at 10:00 am.
VCU's Jean Baptiste Mateo and Alejandro Argente trailed early in No. 3 doubles but surged back for an 8-6 win against Rich Robbie and Harry Walshe. Alexis Heugas and Nick Jones added another 8-6 victory at No. 1 singles to give VCU the 1-0 advantage.
At No. 6 singles, Vuk Velickovic jumped out to a quick lead, winning set one 6-0, before finishing Mehdi Mekaoui 6-3 in set two. VCU's Alexis Heugas followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Rich Robbie, giving the Rams a 3-0 match lead.
On court three, Mateo fought back to secure the first set tiebreaker against Alex Aleman, then clinched the match with a 6-2 second set, finishing minutes before VCU's Alejandro Argente, who led 6-3, 5-4.
For the second straight year, George Washington and VCU will face off for the A-10 crown. Last year's marathon match, which lasted nearly five hours, saw VCU on top 4-3, ending the Colonials two-year Championship streak.
#2 VCU def. #3 DUQUESNE, 4-0
1. Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Rich Robbie (DUQ) 6-4, 6-1
2. Alejandro Argente (VCU) vs. Pete Carpenter (DUQ) 6-3, 5-4, DNF
3. Jean Baptiste Mateo (VCU) def. Alex Aleman (DUQ) 7-6, 6-2
4. Michal Voscek (VCU) vs. Corey Robinson (DUQ) 7-5, 2-1, DNF
5. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) vs. Max Rubin (DUQ) 6-2, 2-3, DNF
6. Vuk Velickovic (VCU) def. Mehdi Mekaoui (DUQ) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3
1. Alexis Heugas/Nick Jones (VCU) def. Pete Carpenter/Alex Aleman (DUQ) 8-6
2. Michal Voscek/Wilder Pimentel (VCU) vs. Corey Robinson/Max Rubin (DUQ) 4-4, DNF
3. Jean Baptiste Mateo/Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Rich Robbie/Harry Walshe (DUQ) 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 1
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The top-seeded George Washington Colonials swept the No. 4 Richmond Spiders, 4-0, to advance to its fifth-straight A-10 Championship match. GW will face the winner of Saturday's second semifinal match between No. 2 VCU and No. 3 Duquesne on Sunday at 10:00 am.
The Colonials gained early momentum by clinching the doubles point with wins in the top two flights. First, the No. 2 pair of Nikita Fomin and Danil Zelenkov secured an 8-1 win against Alex Hahn and Canyon Teague, before Francisco Dias and Julius Tverijonas defeated Ethan and Jacob Dunbar, 8-3 on court one.
In singles action, George Washington picked up first set wins on courts two, three, four, five and six. Ulrik Thomsen was the first to finish, taking down Jonathan Quenard in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, before No. 3 Danil Zelenkov, who dropped just one game, took a 6-1, 6-0 win against Dylan Trent.
The match ended on court two with a Nikita Fomin straight set victory against Jacob Dunbar, 6-2, 6-4.
In an unfinished match in No. 1 singles, Richmond's Ethan Dunbar won the first set, 6-4,but trailed 3-2 against Francisco Dias in set number two when the match was decided.
The Colonials will have a chance to secure its third A-10 title in four years in the Championship finale Sunday at Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
#1 GEORGE WASHINGTON def. #4 RICHMOND, 4-0
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) vs. Francisco Dias (GW) 6-4, 2-3, DNF
2. Nikita Fomin (GW) def. Jacob Dunbar (UR) 6-2, 6-4
3. Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Dylan Trent (UR) 6-1, 6-0
4. Julius Tverijonas (GW) vs. Alex Hahn (UR) 6-1, 5-4, DNF
5. Viktor Svensson (GW) vs. Canyon Teague (UR) 6-2, 5-3, DNF
6. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) def. Jonathan Quenard (UR) 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 2
1. Francisco Dias/Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. Ethan Dunbar/Jacob Dunbar (UR) 8-3
2. Nikita Fomin/Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (UR) 8-1
3. Viktor Svensson/Ulrik Thomsen (GW) vs. Dylan Trent/Jonathan Quenard (UR) 3-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1