Men's Soccer Tops St. Francis Brooklyn in OT for First NCAA Win

By Atlantic 10 Conference

Related Links

Courtesy: Fordham

Bronx, N.Y. - Fordham's Joergen Oland scored the game-winning goal in the 96th minute to give the Fordham men's soccer team a 3-2 overtime win over the St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers in the opening round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship at Jack Coffey Field.  It is Fordham's first-ever NCAA victory.

With the win, Fordham (13-5-2) moves on to the second round against #11 seed Virginia, while St. Francis Brooklyn ends its season at 14-5-1.  In addition to being the first-ever NCAA win for the Rams, it also gave the Rams 13 wins on the season, tying the program record, set in 1985. 

"Just an unbelieve atmosphere tonight.  Really proud of so many people coming out to the game and it being a special moment for our players," said Fordham head coach Jim McElderry after win.  "I couldn't be prouder of the group.  Some of our big players stepped up and had some massive moments for us tonight."
Things did not get off to a good start as the Terriers opened the scoring in the ninth minute, as Dominick Falanga got a cross to Leo Folla on the left side, and he slid a shot into the bottom right corner of the goal for his third marker of the season.
The score remained at 1-0 in favor of the Terriers until the 72nd minute, when Fordham knotted the game at one on a long distance effort from Jannik Loebe.  Loebe dribbled up the right side and fired the ball toward goal from almost 35 yards near the sideline.  The ball had plenty of movement on it and ducked inside the top right corner of the goal to tie the game at one.  It was Loebe's seventh of the season, tying his career-high. 
The tie score lasted only seconds, as the Terriers regained the lead at 2-1 on a goal by Nadim Saqui.  Fordham goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu attempted to clear the ball from Saqui's possession on the right side of the box, but Saqui was just able to chip the ball inside the left post for his fourth goal of the season.
Nuhu made that goal up in the 81st minute, as he launched a free kick from midfield, and found Matthew Lewis for a looping header that bounced inside the right post to knot the game at two.  It was Lewis' second goal of the season.

The game then went to overtime, where the Rams completed the comeback in the 96th minute.  After a clearance, Vincenzo Zuccala picked up the ball for Fordham near midfield.  He booted the ball to Connor DeFilippis for a flick-on header, which found Joergen Oland.  Oland made one move and snuck the ball past the St. Francis goalkeeper for his fifth marker of the year and the game-winning goal.
Fordham now advances to the second round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship on Sunday, November 19th, at #11 seed Virginia in Charlottesville, beginning at 5:00 PM. 

More From A-10 Men's Soccer