Three Second Half Goals Sink VCU

By Atlantic 10 Conference

Related Links

Courtesy: Atlantic 10 Conference

RICHMOND, Va. - After a first half goal to hold a 1-0 lead after 45 minutes of play, VCU could not hold off a three-goal run in five minutes by the Butler Bulldogs to fall 3-2 in the second round of the 2017 NCAA College Cup.



  • VCU and Butler tied in shots on the game with 14 apiece, and in corners with five apiece. However, Butler held a 7-5 advantage in shots on goal.
  • Luc Fatton added his ninth goal of the season, while freshman Ulrik Edvarsen tallied his second goal of the season.
  • Fortia Munts would add an assist in the game, his fourth of the season.
  • The game would be the first appearance in the NCAA Tournament by the Rams since 2013.



  • Things would start quiet, as the first 15 minutes comprised of play in the midfield by both sides.
  • Sparks started flying as Luc Fatton scored the game's opening goal in stunning fashion in the 24th minute. In what seemed like a harmless play to start with, Fatton forced a turnover in his offensive third. Aware where the goalie was standing, he sent in a high lofting shot from about 50 yards out, catching Butler goalie Eric Dick off his line as the ball would bounce in the goal for a VCU 1-0 lead.
  • VCU would hold that lead into halftime, as they only took two shots in the first half.
  • The game would begin to see some crazy action as the second half got underway. It wouldn't take long until Butler got on the board in the 54th minute. Alex Lehtinen scored from four yards out to tie the game at 1-1.
  • Four minutes later, Butler tallied the go-ahead goal as Lewis Suddick scored to give Butler a 2-1 lead. Then less than a minute later, Brandon Guhl added Butler's third goal in five minutes and gave them a 3-1 lead.
  • Four minutes after that, VCU would come back within one as Ulrik Edvarsen was in the right place at the right time, heading a ball into the net off a free kick. That would bring the score to 3-2 with 27 minutes to play.
  • The Rams would get some looks down the stretch, but could not convert an equalizer as they dropped 3-2 in the 90 minutes.

More From A-10 Men's Soccer