Jan. 2, 2013
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK | STANDINGS | STATISTICS
WHAT’S ON TAP FOR WEDNESDAY (1/2)
Temple at Georgetown | 7:00PM
Massachusetts at Harvard | 7:00PM
La Salle at Rutgers | 7:30PM
- Charlotte’s Jennifer Hailey and Duquesne’s April Robinson were named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. Hailey and Robinson were recognized for games played during the week of Dec. 24-30. Hailey’s honor -- the first of her career -- marked the first for a 49er this season, while Robinson collected her second weekly citation of the 2012-13 campaign.
- Massachusetts travels to Cambridge, Mass., for a 7:00 p.m. tilt at Harvard tonight. The Minutewomen currently own the 12-6 series advantage.
- The new year will begin in Washington, D.C., for Temple, as the Owls (5-6) head to the nation’s capital to take on Georgetown (8-4) and Howard (5-6). First up for Temple is a 7:00 p.m. game at Georgetown tonight and the trip will conclude with a 7:00 p.m. contest at Howard on Friday, Jan. 4. The Owls are now on the fifth game of a six-game road swing and will not play at home again until January 7, making it 36 total days without a home game.
- For the seventh consecutive week the University of Dayton women’s basketball team is ranked in both the Associated Press Top 25 Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Following its first loss of the season, the Flyers (12-1) dropped seven spots to No. 22 in the AP Top 25 with 177 votes. UD dropped just four spots in the Coaches Poll to No. 18 with 214 votes.
Duquesne also received nine votes in the AP Poll.
- Charlotte’s Ny Hammonds and Duquesne’s Jocelyn Floyd continue to lead the nation in assists per game and steals per game, respectively. Hammonds registers 7.8 distributions each time out, while Floyd owns a 5.08 thefts per game average.
- The Atlantic 10 is ranked eighth in the latest RPI Report (12/31). Dayton leads the league’s teams, as the Flyers are currently ranked eighth among the nation’s best. Five additional A-10 squads are listed among the top 100 – Duquesne (29), Temple (61), Saint Joseph’s (73), Charlotte (81) and Richmond (83).
TUESDAY’S (1/1) RESULTS
VCU 82, Maine 47
Junior Robyn Parks recorded her fifth double-double of the season with a game-high 24 points and 11 rebounds, and led five VCU players in double-figure scoring as the Rams earned a dominating 82-47 victory over visiting Maine on Tuesday afternoon. It was the Rams' second win over the Black Bears this season as VCU picked up a 74-58 win in Orono on Nov. 24.