Jan. 11, 2013
A-10 WBB NOTEBOOK | STANDINGS | STATISTICS
WHAT’S ON TAP FOR THE WEEKEND
Saturday, January 12
*#22/17 Dayton at Butler | 12:00PM
*George Washington at Massachusetts | 2:00PM
*Richmond at Saint Joseph’s | 2:00PM
*Rhode Island at La Salle | 4:30PM
*VCU at Saint Louis | 8:00PM
Sunday, January 13
*Temple at St. Bonaventure | 1:00PM
*Duquesne at Xavier | 2:00PM
*Fordham at Charlotte | CBS Sports Network | 2:00PM
*denotes A-10 Conference game
- The Atlantic 10 will kick off its 31st season of conference play on Saturday, as A-10 newcomer Butler hosts reigning league champion #22/17 Dayton at the historic Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Jan. 12. George Washington, under the direction of rookie head coach Jonathan Tsipis, will play at Massachusetts, while Saint Joseph's hosts Richmond, and Saint Louis behind new head coach Lisa Stone welcomes first-year member VCU with head coach Marlene Stollings to Chaifetz Arena. Rhode Island and La Salle will round out opening day action at Tom Gola Arena in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Saturday's game will be Butler's first contest in Atlantic 10 play. The Bulldogs are beginning their first season as an A-10 member after playing for 27 seasons in the MCC/Horizon League.
- No. 22/17 Dayton (12-1) is 1 of 9 teams in NCAA D-I Women's Basketball with just one loss this season: Baylor, Connecticut, Dayton, Kentucky, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford, Syracuse and UTEP. The Flyers are seventh in the nation in scoring offense, averaging 79.3 ppg. They are eighth in assists per game (18.3 apg). Sophomore Andrea Hoover is 10th in the nation in free throw percentage (90.5).
- George Washington begins its 31st season of Atlantic 10 Conference action on Saturday afternoon when it visits Massachusetts for a 2 p.m. tipoff. Both founding members of the A-10, GW and UMass are two of just five institutions to have played in the league all 30 seasons it has sponsored women's basketball (1982-83). GW has had a great deal of success in league play, posting a 303-141 (.682) record all-time.
- Fordham and Charlotte kick off the Atlantic 10’s CBS Sports Network slate, tipping off at 2:00 p.m. this Sunday at Halton Arena in front of a nationally televised audience. John Sadak will handle play-by-play duties, while Julianne Viani will serve as the color analyst.
- Richmond and Saint Joseph’s will meet for the 14th time in program history this Saturday on Hawk Hill – SJU own the 8-5 series advantage – and UR will look to avenge their tournament ousting from a year ago. Cindy Griffin’s fifth-seeded Hawks knocked off Michael Shafer’s fourth-seeded Spiders, 69-57, in the quarterfinals at Hagan Arena. Richmond has not won at Hagan Arena since 2007.
- Rhode Island Head coach Cathy Inglese has announced that Dempsey Cooper, Morgan Johnson, and Kiara Palmer each have signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Rhode Island women's basketball program, beginning in the fall of 2013.
WEDNESDAY’S (1/9) RESULTS
Southeast Missouri 59, Saint Louis 52
Jacy Bradley scored a game-high and team-season-high 24 points and Halee Castleman tied Saint Louis' season best with a career-high 12 rebounds, but it wasn't enough as Southeast Missouri State defeated the Billikens 59-52 Wednesday night at the Show-Me Center. Bradley tied her career high with five 3-pointers (5-of-9) and was 9-of-17 from the floor overall. She added seven rebounds. The Billikens begin Atlantic 10 Conference play Saturday, Jan. 12, at home against new league member VCU. Tip time at Chaifetz Arena is 7 p.m.