Jan. 14, 2013
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Chatilla van Grinsven of Saint Joseph’s and Temple’s Victoria Macaulay have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Players of the Week, the league office announced on Monday. Dayton’s Amber Deane was also honored as the A-10’s Rookie of the Week for the second time this season. The three student-athletes were recognized for games played during the week of Jan. 7-13.
Leading the charge for Saint Joseph’s in its Atlantic 10 opener, van Grinsven, a redshirt senior, was dominant for the Hawks. The Helmond, Netherlands, native posted a game-high 24 points, to go with 18 rebounds in SJU’s 82-62 win over visiting Richmond. Converting 10-of-17 (.588) attempts from the floor, and adding four free throws, van Grinsven matched her second-most points in a game for her career, while her 18 rebounds tied for eighth most in a single game at SJU. Additionally, the starting forward had a team-best three steals and added an assist and blocked shot in 29 minutes of action.
Macaulay averaged 22.5 points and 9.0 rebounds in a 2-0 week for Temple, including wins over Western Michigan (68-41) and at defending A-10 regular season champs St. Bonaventure (67-59). The Staten Island, N.Y., native recorded her seventh double-double of the season with a game-high 23 points and a game-high 12 rebounds against the Bonnies. She hit 9-of-10 (.900) at the line, tallied three assists and two blocks in leading the Owls to victory in their A-10 opener. Earlier in the week, Macaulay scored a game-high 22 points on 11-of-19 (.579) shooting over Western Michigan. On the week, she shot 52.9 percent (18-34) from the field and 90 percent (9-10) at the line, while adding five blocks.
Deane registered her first career double-double with a game-high 18 points along with a game- and career-high 11 rebounds in No. 22/17 Dayton’s A-10 opening win at Butler (82-39). Deane shot 62 percent (8-13) from the field and a career-best 67 percent (2-3) from beyond the arc in her 23 minutes on the floor. She hit the Flyers’ first six points of the game (in the first 1:33), going 2-for-2 from three-point range. The Lathrup Village, Mich., native also added three assists and a steal in the victory.
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Dayton’s Sam McKay
played a team-high 30 minutes, and scored 13 points, had 6 rebounds and 6 assists in No. 22/17 Dayton’s 82-39 win at Butler.
- Duquesne’s April Robinson scored 15 points and corralled five rebounds at Xavier.
- Fordham’s Abigail Corning registered her second double-double of the year at Charlotte, netting 14 points and pulling down 10 boards in the Rams’ first victory in an A-10 road opener since December of 1998.
- La Salle’s Brittany Wilson, the A-10’s leading scorer, averaged 22 points on the week, including a season-high 27 points on 11-for-20 shooting at Richmond.
- Carolaan Cloutier of Massachusetts scored a season-high 13 points in leading UMass to a 62-58 victory over George Washington in the A-10 opener for both teams.
- Rhode Island’s Megan Straumann recorded a career-high seven steals to go along with 14 points, four rebounds and two assists at La Salle.
- Richmond’s Becca Wann averaged 15.0 points and 12.5 in a 1-1 week for the Spiders.
- Jacy Bradley of Saint Louis scored a game-high and team-season-high 24 points, tied her career high with five 3-pointers and played 39 minutes vs. Southeast Missouri State.
- VCU’s Robyn Parks posted her sixth double-doubles of the season with a game high 15 points and 10 rebounds at Saint Louis.
- Xavier’s Aliyah Zantt posted a career-high-tying 12 points in the Musketeers’ contest against Duquesne, tying her career high.