Jan. 14, 2013
STANDINGS | STATISTICS
WHAT’S ON TAP FOR WEDNESDAY (1/16)
*Charlotte at Rhode Island | 7:00PM
*La Salle at #18/17 Dayton | 7:00PM
*UMass at Fordham | 7:00PM
*Saint Louis at Duquesne | 7:00PM
*St. Bonaventure at Richmond | 7:00PM
*VCU at Temple | 7:00PM
- Chatilla van Grinsven of Saint Joseph’s and Temple’s Victoria Macaulay have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Players of the Week, the league office announced on Monday (1/14). Dayton’s Amber Deane was also honored as the A-10’s Rookie of the Week for the second time this season. The three student-athletes were recognized for games played during the week of Jan. 7-13. van Grinsven’s award marker her second of the season.
- Dayton improved to 10-8 in A-10 openers with its 82-39 win at Butler over the weekend. The Flyers are now 4-2 in road A-10 openers. The 39 points is the lowest the Flyers have allowed an opponent this season.
- Redshirt senior forward Chatilla van Grinsven was also named both Big 5 Co-Player of the Week and College Sports Madness A-10 Player of the Week, organization officials announced on Monday (1/14).
- Temple head coach Tonya Cardoza got the 100th win of her career at St. Bonaventure (now 100-46), as the Owls won their third straight A-10 opener and did it against the only team to beat them in the A-10 regular season a year ago.
- Fordham opened up A-10 play in historic fashion last Sunday (1/13), besting Charlotte for the first time in program history and winning its first A-10 road opener since the 1998-99 season.
- Saint Louis won its A-10 opener for the first time since defeating Fordham in the 2007-08 season. The Billikens’ Lorreal Jones returned from a three-game absence due to a concussion and posted her first double-double of the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds vs. VCU.
- Tickets are currently on sale for the 2013 Atlantic 10 Women’s Basketball Championship in Philadelphia and Brooklyn. To purchase tickets or obtain more information, please visit the A-10 website -- atlantic10.com.
SUNDAY’S (1/13) RESULTS
Temple 67, St. Bonaventure 59 | TEMPLE HIGHLIGHTS
The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team (7-9, 0-1 Atlantic 10) failed to hold onto a seven-point advantage with six minutes remaining as Temple (7-8, 1-0) rallied for a 67-59 victory over the Bonnies in the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams on Sunday afternoon at the Reilly Center. The loss snaps an 18-game Atlantic 10 regular season win streak for the Bonnies. They had won 21 of their last 23 games against A-10 opponents overall.
Fordham 59, Charlotte 56 | CHARLOTTE HIGHLIGHTS | FORDHAM HIGHLIGHTS
The Charlotte women's basketball team was never able to fully get into an offensive rhythm and could not hold off a late run by Fordham, allowing the Rams to escape with a 59-56 victory over the 49ers Sunday afternoon in the Atlantic 10 opener for both schools inside Halton Arena. Charlotte returns to action at 7 p.m. Wednesday when it makes its first conference road trip of the campaign, in Kingston, R.I., against Rhode Island.
Duquesne 56, Xavier 54 | XAVIER HIGHLIGHTS
Xavier fell just short Sunday afternoon in the Cintas Center, dropping a 56-54 contest against the Duquesne Dukes. Senior Amber Gray led the Musketeers with 15 points and nine rebounds in 35 minutes. Junior Ty O'Neill had a career-high nine rebounds and freshman Aliyah Zantt tied career-highs in points (12) and rebounds (6). Xavier out-rebounded Duquesne 44-39 and the Musketeers shot 36 percent to the Dukes 31.8 percent for the game. Both teams struggled from the line as XU made 13-of-24 (54.2%) free throw shots to DU's 7-of-13 (53.8%) shooting from the line.