Jan. 19, 2013
#A10WBB NOTEBOOK | STATISTICS | STANDINGS
WHAT’S ON TAP FOR THE WEEKEND (*A-10 Conference game)
Saturday, January 19
*Massachusetts at St. Bonaventure | 1:00 PM
Sunday, January 20
*George Washington at VCU | 1:00PM
*Butler at La Salle | CBS Sports Network | 2:00PM
*#18/17 Dayton at Rhode Island | 2:00PM
*Richmond at Fordham | 2:00PM
*Saint Joseph’s at Saint Louis | 2:00PM
*Temple at Duquesne | 2:00PM
*Xavier at Charlotte | 2:00PM
- St. Bonaventure (7-10, 0-2) returns home to continue its search for their first win of the new year having lost four-straight. Massachusetts (3-14, 1-1) enters the matchup coming off a loss to Fordham on Wednesday.
- Three Atlantic 10 hoopters are averaging a double-double each time out -- including Charlotte’s Jennifer Hailey (14.6 ppg, 11.2 rpg) and Amanda Dowe (11.1 ppg/11.3 rpg*); along with Chatilla van Grinsven of Saint Joseph’s (14.8 ppg, 10.3 rpg). (*leads the A-10). Only 39 student-athletes are averaging a double-double on the year.
- UD Head Coach Jim Jabir was recently selected as a national “Coach of the Half Year” on a CBS broadcast along with Baylor’s Kim Mulkey, Connecticut’s Geno Auriemma, Notre Dame’s Muffet McGraw and Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer.
- The 12-1 start in non-conference play was the best for the Flyers since becoming a Division I program in 1984-85 (equaling the best start in UD WBB history - the 1983-84 season when the Flyers went 12-1 to start, ended the season 27-4 and in the NCAA D-II National semifinals).
- The Flyers have only lost the battle of the boards once this season, 43-39 to Bowling Green in UD’s lone loss of the season, 65-40 on Dec. 30 (UD also tied Arizona State on the boards).
- Fordham is off to its best start since the 1983-84 season. The Rams are 2-0 in A-10 play for the first time in program history.
- Richmond enters Sunday's game have won four of its last five games. Richmond's last win on the road was Dec. 30 against UNCW. The Spiders look for their 11th win in a row over the Rams. Richmond's last win at Rose Hill Gym came in 2011.
THURSDAY’S (1/17) RESULTS
Butler 71, Xavier 67 | BU Postgame | BU Highlights
Freshman Blaire Langlois had scored 16 points all season. But when her number was called Thursday night against Xavier,she responded with 14 points to help the Butler women's basketball team to a 71-67 victory. Langlois, a Carmel, Ind., native, was one of four Bulldogs to score at least 13 points on the night. Sophomore Taylor Schippers led BU with 15 points and five steals.
Saint Joseph’s 80, George Washington 67 | GW Highlights
Sophomore Chakecia Miller posted her second career 20-point effort, and senior Megan Nipe added a season-best 17 points and eight rebounds, but the George Washington women's basketball team could not overcome a 19-point halftime deficit in an 80-67 loss to Atlantic 10 rival Saint Joseph's on Thursday evening at the Charles E. Smith Center. All five Saint Joseph's starters scored in double figures, led by Erin Shields' 25 points. She was 7-of-12 from the floor, including 5-for-10 from three-point range, and 6-for-6 from the charity stripe.