WHAT’S ON TAP FOR WEDNESDAY (1/30) *Duquesne at George Washington | 11:00 a.m. *La Salle at Massachusetts | 11:45 a.m. *Butler at Saint Joseph’s | 7:00 p.m. *Charlotte at St. Bonaventure | 7:00 p.m. | Coach Consuegra’s Game Preview *#17/16 Dayton at VCU | 7:00 p.m.
A-10 SCOOP - The A-10 remains eighth in the latest RPI Report released on Monday, Jan. 27. The Flyers continue to pace the league, coming in 21st among the nation’s top teams, while six additional teams are ranked among the top 100 – Duquesne (37), Saint Joseph’s (46), Fordham (82), Charlotte (84), Richmond (90) and Butler (100).
- For the 11th consecutive week Dayton is ranked in both the Associated Press Top 25 and the USA Today Coaches Polls. Dayton (17-1, 5-0 A-10) remained No. 17 in the AP Top 25 with 357 points. UD moved up one spot to No. 15 in USA Today Coaches Poll with 319 points.
- Duquesne’s Jocelyn Floyd continues to lead the nation in steals per game, making 5.24 thefts per game.
- Charlotte’s Jennifer Hailey and Dayton’s Amber Deane have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. The award marks the third-straight and fourth overall for Deane, while Hailey collects the citation for the second time this season. Both student-athletes were recognized for games played during the week of Jan. 21-27.
- Duquesne has started out 5-0 in conference play for the first time in program history.
- Fordham’s 4-0 start in league play is the program’s best ever, and the Rams’ current win total of four is just one short of the program’s highest ever win total in the A-10.
- With a young team that saw three key rotation players go down with injuries before the season, Butler got off to a slow start in November. The Bulldogs have stayed together to win 10 of their last 12 games. BU is currently 6-1 in January after posting a 4-2 mark in December. One reason has been all of the new players meshing together better, but another reason has been the addition of 6-2 transfer Liz Stratman. The sophomore center averages 12.0 points and BU is 9-2 with her in the lineup.
- UD is one of just five NCAA Division I women’s basketball teams with just one loss this season. The others are: No. 1 Baylor, No. 2 UConn, No. 3 Notre Dame and No. 5 Duke.
- Saint Joseph’s is currently on a five-game win streak and has won eight of its last nine contests, including a 61-44 victory over St. Bonaventure on Saturday.
- GW’s Chakecia Miller's 10 steals against Rhode Island matched the second-highest single-game total ever by a Colonial; Laurie Cann had 12 against Towson State in 1978, while Miller also had 10 at George Mason in December 2011. She is the 10th player in Division I to record double-digit steals in a game this season and the first in the Atlantic 10. Miller ranks second in the A-10 and 41st in the NCAA with 2.9 steals per game this season.
- Tonight’s game marks the second time this season VCU faces a ranked opponent as the Rams lost at No. 24 Ohio State on Dec. 27. It’s also the second straight season VCU has faced multiple ranked opponents. The Black & Gold’s last victory over a ranked foe came on Dec. 28, 1992, a 79-77 win against 24th-ranked N.C. State.
- The Bonnies are still a defensive force in the Atlantic 10, limiting their opponents to just 54.7 points per game. St. Bonaventure ranks third in the A-10 in scoring defense. Only Duquesne (50.1) and Fordham (52.3) are better so far.
- Freshman Jessica Pellechio, who leads the A-10 with 2.9 treys per game, ranks 10th on VCU’s single-season 3-pointer list with 47 despite missing four games. The program record is 94 set by Anna Pavlikhina in 1991-92.
- The 49ers remained a perfect 6-0 in true away games this season by picking up a 71-54 triumph at Saint Louis Sunday afternoon. The victory also improved the team's overall record to 14-4 and Atlantic 10 mark to 3-1.