Feb. 4, 2013
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Charlotte’s Jennifer Hailey and Fordham’s Samantha Clark have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced Monday. This marks Hailey’s second consecutive and third overall award for the season, while Clark also garners her third Rookie of the Week honor this season. Both student-athletes were recognized for games played during the week of Jan. 28–Feb. 3.
Hailey continued her strong play with her fifth and sixth double-doubles in a row in leading the 49ers to back-to-back victories at St. Bonaventure Wednesday and against Duquesne Sunday. The Marshville, N.C., native opened the week with a game high of 21 points, 13 rebounds against the Bonnies, while adding three blocked shots. She closed the week by leading the 49ers with 20-points, her fourth straight 20 plus scoring game, while tying her career best with 17 rebounds. Posting a double-double in all six Atlantic 10 games so far this season, Hailey raises her season total to 15 and career total to 35. The 49er also added two blocked shots against the Dukes, moving her within five of tying the all-time school record.
Freshman Clark scored in double figures for the 11th time this season on Saturday, netting ten points and pulling down seven rebounds in her team’s 71-41 victory over VCU. The Neptune, N.J., native converted on four of her six attempts from the floor, moving her field goal percentage in conference games to 63 percent, second in league standings.
A-10 WBB WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
- Dayton’s Olivia Applewhite registered back-to-back double-doubles in No. 17/15 Dayton’s 2-0 week, averaging 14 points.
- Fordham’s Erin Rooney scored 18 points, draining a career-high four out of her seven attempts from beyond the arc.
- George Washington’s Sara Mostafa led the team with a season-high 17 points on 8-of-14 shooting and added nine rebounds, three blocks and three steals against Duquesne, while posting her second double-double of the season with 11 points and 12 rebounds on Sunday against La Salle.
- La Salle’s Brittany Wilson scored 30 points against UMass with a perfect 14-for-14 from the free throw line.
- St. Bonaventure’s rookie Nyla Rueter led the Bonnies in scoring in both games this week making her the first freshman this season to lead the team in scoring in back-to-back games.
- Saint Joseph’s Chatilla van Grinsven averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds against Butler and Rhode Island.
- Desirae Ball of Saint Louis led the Billikens with a career high 22 points at Xavier, including four three-pointers.
- Temple’s Tyonna Williams averaged 20 points, six assists, and 4.5 rebounds per game in a 2-0 week for the Owls.
- Robyn Park of VCU averaged a team-best 18 points and 8.5 rebounds last week, while also contributing 1.5 assists and 2 steals per game.