Feb. 11, 2013
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Charlotte's Jennifer Hailey and Duquesne's April Robinson have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women's Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced Monday. This marks Hailey's third consecutive and fourth overall award for the season, while Robinson earns her third Rookie of the Week honor this season. Both Hailey and Robinson were recognized for games played during the week of Feb. 4 - 10.
Hailey, a senior, was the most consistent 49er this past week, averaging 10.5 points and 14 rebounds to go along with her seventh and eighth straight double-doubles. The Marshville, N.C., native now has 17 double-doubles on the season and 37 in her career. Hailey started the week with a 10 point, 14 rebound outing against Temple. She converted four of five free throws against the Owls and added three blocked shots. Hailey then chipped in 11 points and a game-best tying 14 rebounds at Saint Joseph's, recording Charlotte's first eight points of the contest, leading them to a road victory over the previously unbeaten Hawks in conference games.
Freshman Robinson led the Dukes, scoring in double figures on Thursday in a 61-33 victory against St. Bonaventure. The Springfield, Va., native scored eight straight points to spark a 14-4 run that ended the half with Duquesne leading 37-14, and finished the game with eleven points and five rebounds. Robinson posted 14 points, seven rebounds, and shot a career high six for nine against Richmond on Sunday. She also tied her career high by shooting .667 percent from three point range in the 59-54 contest against the Spiders.
A-10 WBB WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
- Daress McClung of Butler averaged 18.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals in leading Butler to a 1-1 week. She had 19 points and four steals in Bu's 60-45 win over Rhode Island and had 17 points in a loss at George Washington.
- Olivia Applewhite of Dayton had 11 points and a game-high 9 rebounds, plus a career-high 4 steals in UD's 78-68 win over Xavier on Feb. 7, 2013. Applewhite had 12 points and another game-high 9 rebounds in Dayton's 68-57 win over Fordham in a pivotal A-10 matchup on Feb. 10, 2013 in which five Flyers scored in double figures. She had five points and four rebounds in the final five minutes vs. the Rams.
- Fordham's Arialle Collins scored 14 points on 5-7 shooting on Wednesday night against La Salle, including 2-4 from deep, to help the Rams reach their highest-ever win total in the A-10. In a losing effort against #18 Dayton on Sunday, Collins chipped in 11 points on 3-5 shooting from beyond the arc while dishing out four assists and only surrendering one turnover.
- Chakecia Miller led the Colonials to a 2-0 week with 14.0 ppg on 50 percent shooting to go with 4.5 assists and 2.0 steals per game. Miller was the hero in GW's 57-54 come-from-behind victory over Richmond on Wednesday, scoring four points in the final 11 seconds and coming up with a key steal.
- Shanel Harrison led La Salle in scoring in back-to-back games, averaging 15.0 ppg on the week. She also led with 7.0 rpg on the week.
- Helping the Hawks to a 1-1 record on the week, Chatilla van Grinsven averaged 15.5 points and 8.0 rebounds per game on the week for SJU. Against VCU, van Grinsven posted a team-high four assists and three steals and added 11 points in the win.
- Jacy Bradley of Saint Louis had a game-high six assists with just one turnover, as well as a game-high three steals, vs. UMass. She scored a game-high 19 points, tied for the team lead with five assists (just one turnover) and added a game-high and career-high-tying four steals at Temple.
- Senior center Victoria Macaulay averaged 15.5 points, 5.5 blocks and 4.5 rebounds in a 1-1 week for Temple. She scored a team-high 15 points in a loss at Charlotte and followed with a team-high 16 points in a win vs. Saint Louis...She blocked a career-high nine shots vs. SLU, just two shy of the program record for a single game.
- Robyn Parks of VCU averaged a team-best 19.0 points and 7.5 rebounds per game off the bench. She also averaged 2.0 steals and 1.5 assists, shot .467 from the field (14-of-30), scored 16 of her game-high 21 points in the second half Sunday to help key VCU to a 64-51 win at St. Bonaventure. Parks also registered her eighth 20-point performance of the season and has scored in double-figures in 23 straight games (at least 12 points in each contest).
- Xavier's Amber Gray averaged 17.5 ppg. and 7.5 rpg. to lead the Musketeers in a 1-1 week of Atlantic 10 action. Gray scored a game-high 21 points and grabbed eight rebounds Thursday night at No. 18/15 Dayton. She sank all three of her free throw shots and dished out four assists in the loss. In Sunday's come-from-behind win over La Salle, Gray scored a team-high 14 points on 4-of-7 shooting and a 9-for-10 night at the free throw line. She dished out three assists and recorded one steal against the Explorers.