Feb. 18, 2013
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Chatilla van Grinsven of Saint Joseph's and La Salle's Shanel Harrison have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Players of the Week, the league office announced on Monday. Fordham's Samantha Clark was also honored as the A-10's Rookie of the Week. The three student-athletes were recognized for games played during the week of Feb. 11-17.
Harrison averaged 21.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in a 1-1 week for the Explorers. The senior guard from Washington, D.C. nailed the game-winning 3-pointer on a desperation shot at the buzzer to lift La Salle to a 49-46 win over Saint Louis. She scored 23 points and grabbed six rebounds in the win over the Billikens. Harrison then followed that with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds in a loss at VCU. It marked eighth straight double-figure scoring game for Harrison, who is averaging 17.4 points per game over the last eight.
van Grinsven averaged 14.5 points and 14.0 rebounds in two Saint Joseph's overtime wins last week wins. The senior forward had a game-high 19 points and 15 rebounds against Duquesne while also dishing out three assists. She secured the win over the Dukes by hitting the game-winning free throws with 20 seconds left in overtime. van Grinsven had a team-high 13 rebounds to go with 10 points, and had a key steal and layup in the overtime session to help the Hawks prevail in the win over Temple Sunday. She also had three blocks and four steals versus the Owls.
Clark helped Fordham post a 2-0 week, securing the Rams' first-ever winning record in the A-10. Against George Washington, the Neptune, N.J., freshman forward registered eight points, six boards and three blocks to help the Rams pick up the win. Then, against Saint Louis on Saturday, Clark put up a strong performance, tallying 14 points and eight boards. She also swatted away four Billiken shots and was 2-of-3 from 3-point range.
A-10 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Butler's Daress McClung
scored 17 points and had nine rebounds and five assists in the Bulldogs' win over St. Bonaventure. She also had 10 rebounds at Charlotte.
- Charlotte's Jennifer Hailey posted back-to-back double-doubles, scoring 16 points in both games and then 12 rebounds versus Butler and 13 against George Washington. She also had five blocks in each game.
- Erin Rooney of Fordham registered 19 points, six rebounds and six assists at Saint Louis after tallying 13 points, six rebounds and nine assists against GW.
- Rhode Island's Tayra Melendez scored a game-high 17 points and grabbed seven boards versus Xavier.
- Rachael Bilney of Richmond scored 16 points versus UMass to become the 19th Spider in school history to reach 1,000 career points.
- VCU's Adaeze Alaeze posted 11 points, three steals and four rebounds in the Rams' win over La Salle.