Feb. 25, 2013
Strickland and van Grinsven Earn A-10 Player of the Week; Clark Named Rookie of the Week
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Atlantic 10 Conference has named Fordham’s Marah Strickland and Saint Joseph’s Chatilla van Grinsven Co-Women’s Basketball players of the week for games played the week of Feb. 18 – Feb. 24. Strickland’s teammate Samantha Clark has been named the Rookie of the Week.
In a key 70-63 overtime league win over SJU, Strickland had a career-high 31 points, including nine in the extra period. Strickland was 9-of-17 from the floor and 9-of-10 from the free-throw line in the win. She also grabbed six rebounds and dished out one assist against the Hawks. Strickland opened the week with 14 points in a win over Rhode Island.
van Grinsven had a pair of double-doubles during the week for the Hawks. In a 68-31 victory at La Salle to open the week, she had 16 points and 15 rebounds to go along with three assists. She capped the week with a 26 point, 13 rebound performance against Fordham.
Clark earns rookie-of-the-week accolades for the second consecutive week and the fifth time this season. Clark averaged 8.5 ppg. and 11 rebounds in a pair of games for the Rams. Clark scored seven points and grabbed 11 boards in a win at URI. Clark also had three assists, two blocks and two steals in the win over the Rams. Clark then finished the week with a double-double against St. Joseph’s, scoring 10 points and pulling down 11 rebounds in Fordham’s overtime win.
A-10 Weekly Honor Roll
- Charlotte’s Jennifer Hailey averaged 21.0 points and 14.0 rebounds during two 49er victories this past week, at Massachusetts and at La Salle; Sunday’s effort saw Hailey tie her career high with 27 points and grab her career best with 18 rebounds,
- Dayton sophomore Andrea Hoover was UD’s leading scorer in all three games in the Flyers’ 3-0 week. Hoover scored a game-high 20 points in a crucial 58-57 win over Duquesne on Feb. 18.
- Jocelyn Floyd became Duquesne’s all-time steals leader (341) with seven in DUQ’s 53-44 win at UMass. She also scored 16 of her game-high 18 points in the first half on 8-of-11 shooting against the Minutewomen.
- Megan Nipe of George Washington posted her first career double-double to lead GW to a 57-52 win over St. Bonaventure and clinch a berth in the Atlantic 10 Championship Tournament.
- Shanel Harrison of La Salle averaged 14.0 ppg and 7.0 rpg in an 0-2 week for the Explorers. Harrison scored 16 against Charlotte on Sunday, led the Explorers with 12 at Saint Joseph’s on Wednesday.
- URI’s Samantha Tabakman averaged 11.0 points and 6.3 rebounds in a 1-2 week for the Rams. She also added seven blocks, three steals and two assists.
- St. Bonaventure rookie Katie Healy opened up her week with a solid, 11-point, 8-rebound performance against rival Dayton. Healy blocked a career best four shots, collected two steals and turned the ball over just twice. The Lancaster native also canned a career-high-tying two three-pointers in 29 minutes of action. In the second game of the week, Healy tallied her second-career double-double with a game-high 14-points and a career-high 12 rebounds while shooting an efficient 46.2 percent from the floor.
- Saint Louis senior guard Jacy Bradley had team highs of 17 points and four assists while playing all 40 minutes against Butler. Bradley then scored a career-high, game-high and team-season-high 28 points in a win at Rhode Island
- Temple redshirt junior forward Natasha Thames averaged 7.0 ppg and 12.5 rpg in an 0-2 week for Temple. Thames grabbed a career-high 18 boards at #14/14 Dayton, and shot 54.5 percent from the field for the week (6-of-11).
- Robyn Parks of VCU recorded back-to-back double-doubles last week, averaging 25.0 points, 15.5 rebounds, 5.0 steals and 2.5 assists per game.
- Xavier’s Shatyra Hawkes averaged 14 points, six rebounds and three assists over the Musketeers’ two road wins this past week.