March 4, 2013
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Charlotte's Amanda Dowe and Fordham's Abigail Corning have been named Atlantic 10 Conference Women's Basketball Co-Players of the Week, while VCU's Jessica Pellechio was named Rookie of the Week as the league announced its final weekly awards of the 2012-13 season on Monday.
A native of Tabor City, N.C., Dowe averaged 11 points in two games last week, but most of her damage was done on the glass as she averaged 18 rebounds. Dowe opened the week with a nine point, 15 rebound effort against VCU. She followed that with 13 points and 21 rebounds versus Richmond. Dowe's 21 boards ties for an A-10 single-game best this season and ties for sixth highest in league history.
Corning led Fordham to a pair of wins during the week, while averaging 12.5 points and 13 rebounds. Against St. Bonaventure to start the week, Corning scored 15 points and tied a career-high with 14 boards. The Wethersfield, Conn. native closed the week with 10 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists in a win over Temple on Sunday.
Pellechio averaged 18.5 points for the Rams last week. After scoring 18 points at Charlotte, the Annadale, N.J. native scored 19 points against Rhodes Island on the final day of the regular season to lift VCU over URI and into the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship. For the week, Pellechio was 9-of-15 from behind the three-point line and shot 44 percent from the field overall.
A-10 Honor Roll
- Saint Joseph's Erin Shields had a career-high 28 points at Dayton Sunday and eight points on Wednesday versus UMass to average 19.0 ppg. this week.
- Shanel Harrison averaged 16.0 points and 13.0 rebounds in an 0-2 week to conclude La Salle's season. She posted back-to-back double-doubles vs. Duquesne (10points, 15rebounds) and at St. Bonaventure (22points, 11rebounds). She finished her season averaging a career best 12.6 ppg/7.0 rpg.
- Lorreal Jones
of Saint Louis averaged 12.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in two games, including her sixth double-double of the year (11 points, game-high 10 rebounds) vs. Dayton.
- St. Bonaventure's Alaina Walker had a brilliant final week as a Bonnie. At Fordham, Walker scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds positioning herself for a historic senior night. She scored a team-high 18 points and grabbed five rebounds in the 2012-13 season finale victory over La Salle. Her five rebounds made her the 10th member of the 600 rebound club. Only one player in program history shorter than Walker has achieved such a feat.
- Jessica Pachko averaged 13.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game for the week as Xavier extended its winning streak to six games. She grabbed 10 rebounds in XU's win over George Washington Wednesday. Scored a career-high 23 points on Saturday as she went 9-of-15 from the floor and 5-of-6 from the line in Xavier's win at UMass.
-Rachael Bilney of Richmond averaged 13.5 points per game in a 1-1 week for the Spiders.
-Victoria Macaulay of Temple averaged a double-double of 19.5 points and 11.0 rebounds in an 0-2 week for Temple. She recorded a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds in a 59-55 loss at Butler.
- Rhode Island's Kerry Wallack was 9-of-13 from the field, recording her first career double-double with a career-best 20 points and 10 rebounds at VCU.
-Senior Danni Jackson averaged a team-best 17.5 points per game to go with 5.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.0 steals per contest to lead GW to a 1-1 week.
-VCU's Robyn Parks averaged a team-best 23.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 6.0 steals per game last week to help VCU clinch an A-10 Tournament spot.
-Sophomore Andrea Hoover was Dayton's leading scorer on the week, helping the Flyers to their first ever A-10 Regular Season Championship. She scored 17 points in the second half to lead the Flyers in their win over Saint Joseph's to claim the regular season title outright.