Nov. 12, 2012
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Jasmine Watson of Massachusetts and Dayton’s Amber Deane were named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. Watson and Deane were recognized for games played during the opening weekend of the regular season, Nov. 9-11.
Watson became the 18th player in Massachusetts women’s basketball history to record 1,000 career points, as the 6-3 center scored 21 in the Minutewomen’s, 83-53, rout of Kent State on Saturday, Nov. 10. Watson led UMass in points (21) and blocks (4), while tying for the team lead in steals (4). The South Bend, Ind., native was outstanding in her senior-season opener, shooting 73 percent (8-11) from the floor, while adding eight rebounds and three assists.
Deane was named the Most Valuable Player of the Maggie Dixon Classic after scoring a career-high 27 points in the championship game against host No. 25 DePaul. Deane, who shot a blistering 80 percent from the field on the weekend, was perfect in her first half of college basketball against MVSU. She went 5-for-5 from the field, including 2-for-2 in the first half against the Devilettes. Deane’s 27 points against No. 25 DePaul tied for fourth most points in a single game for a freshman at UD. She tied the mark of 27 set by Justine Raterman on Nov. 16, 2008.
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Butler’s DARESS McCLUNG recorded a double-double of 19 points and 10 rebounds against Marquette. - Charlotte’s JENNIFER HAILEY posted a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds in the 49ers rout of North Carolina Central.
- Duquesne’s ORSI SZECSI corralled a career-high 13 rebounds against North Carolina.
- Fordham’s ERIN ROONEY averaged 15 points and 4.5 rebounds in a pair of Rams’ victories over Albany and Cornell.
- George Washington’s DANNI JACKSON led the Colonials to an 80-47 win over UT Arlington in the season opener with a team-best 13 points and seven assists to go along with three steals and three rebounds.
- La Salle’s BRITTANY WILSON poured in game-high 22 points against Loyola Chicago.
- Rhode Island’s BRIANNA THOMAS came off the bench to score a team-high 14 points on 5-of-6 (.833) shooting.
- Richmond’s GENEVIEVE OKORO posted her first double-double of the season, scoring 13 points and grabbing 11 rebounds against Longwood.
- St. Bonaventure’s KATIE KEALY recorded 12 points and seven rebounds in her collegiate debut against Binghamton.
- CHATILLA VAN GRINSVEN of Saint Joseph’s registered 13 points and 10 rebounds in her Hawks’ debut against Princeton.
- COURTNEY WEBB of Saint Louis scored a team-high 17 points at Missouri.
- Temple’s VICTORIA MACAULAY registered career-bests of 21 points and 16 rebounds in the Owls’ victory over Montana.
- Xavier’s SHATYRA HAWKES scored a career-high tying 19 points in Xavier’s 71-62 season-opening win over Bucknell.