Nov. 26, 2012
A-10 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL WEEKLY NOTEBOOK
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – VCU’s Robyn Parks and Dayton’s Jodie Cornelie-Sigmundova were named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. The duo was recognized for games played during the week of Nov. 19-25.
Parks averaged a double-double of 23.0 points and 11.0 rebounds to lead VCU to a pair of victories over UMKC (Nov. 20) and Maine (Nov. 24) last week. The Waldorf, Md., native scored 24 points – including a perfect performance at the line (7-7) – and corralled 10 rebounds in the Rams’ 79-55 triumph against UMKC, before registering 22 points and 12 rebounds in a 74-58 win at Maine. She finished the week shooting 46 percent (16-35) from the field and 87 percent (13-15) at the line. Parks also added eight steals, two assists and one block.
Cornelie-Sigmundova came off the bench to help the Flyers secure two wins and the Dayton Marriott Classic title over the weekend. The French import scored a career-high 21 points in just 20 minutes to lead all scorers in the Flyers’ 105-42 rout of Eastern Illinois on Sunday (Nov. 25). For her efforts, Cornelie-Sigmundova was named to the Dayton Marriott All-Classic Team. She averaged a team-best 13.5 points on the weekend, while shooting a team-best .786 from the field, including a perfect 9-of-9 against the Panthers on Sunday. She has 10 of Dayton’s 16 blocks on the season.
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Butler’s TAYLOR SCHIPPERS scored a career-high 27 points at St. Mary’s (CA), including 18 in the first half.
- Charlotte’s AMANDA DOWE tallied a double-double in the 49ers’ lone game of the week against Kansas State, as she led all Niners with 18 points and 14 rebounds.
- Duquesne’s JOCELYN FLOYD tied her career-highs with 19 points nine steals versus North Dakota.
- Fordham’s ERIN ROONEY has reached double digit scoring figures in each of her five games this season and turned in a perfect week from the free throw line (10-10).
- George Washington’s DANNI JACKSON tallied 11 points, six steals and six assists against USC Upstate.
- La Salle’s BRITTANY WILSON averaged 17.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists in a 1-1 week for the Explorers.
- UMass senior center JASMINE WATSON finished a set of games against Hartford and Holy Cross averaging 16.5 points and 7.5 rebounds, knocking down 54.5 percent of her field goals (12-for-22) and 75.0 percent of her free throws (9-of-12) while adding five steals and three blocks.
- Rhode Island’s EMILIE CLOUTIER averaged 13.0 points and 5.5 rebounds per game, while connecting on 7-of-10 attempts from the field as she matched her career-best with a game-high 18 points at Quinnipiac.
- Richmond’s LAUREN TOLSON scored a career-high nine points twice in the Cancun Challenge as Richmond went 2-1.
- ASHLEY PRIM of Saint Joseph’s had a career-high 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting, including 5-of-7 from three-point range, at Hofstra on Sunday.
- LORREAL JONES of Saint Louis tied for the team lead in scoring and led the Billikens in rebounding in the win at Omaha.
- Temple sophomore guard TYONNA WILLIAMS led the Owls with 15 points against Rutgers last week, while tying for game-high honors with four assists and hit 3-of-7 from behind the arc.
- Xavier’s SHATYRA HAWKES averaged 15.3 points, 4.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds and shot 51.7 percent from the field in the Musketeers three games last week.