Dec. 3, 2012
The University of Dayton women’s basketball team moved up four spots to No. 19 in the AP Top 25 Poll. The Flyers, who received 248 votes, achieved their highest ranking in program history. The previous best was No. 20 in 2009 for one week. Last week UD received 177 votes and was ranked No. 23.
Two weeks ago UD moved into the Top 25 at No. 24 for the first since Dec. 7, 2009, marking the third time in history that UD appeared in the Top 25.
UD is also currently ranked No. 22 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. Dayton hosts undefeated Michigan State this Saturday, Dec. 8 at 1 p.m. at UD Arena. The first 1,000 fans will receive a white Dayton Flyer rally towel to help cheer on the team. In addition, Flyer fans are invited to an autograph session with the Flyer women following the game against the Spartans.
FLYER NATIONAL RANKING HISTORY
• Dayton received four votes (No. 37 overall) from the AP Top 25 media panel to start the 2011-12 season and finished the season with one vote (No. 34 overall), in addition to three votes in the Coaches Poll.
• The Flyers were No. 28 in the AP preseason poll and No. 30 in the preseason USA Today/ESPN Coaches' Poll to start the 2010-11 season.
• The Flyers made their first ever appearance in program history on the AP Top 25 (at No. 25) and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll (No. 24) on Nov. 30, 2009. Dayton was ranked No. 20 (Dec. 7), receiving 175 votes in both the women’s college major polls. They stayed there for one week, lost to Toledo and then were knocked out of the Top 25.
• UD received votes in either the AP or USA Today/ESPN polls for 20 consecutive weeks (Preseason poll on Nov. 9 to Final) during the 2009-10 season.
• The Flyers were receiving votes in the polls when they were on a 16-game winning streak, picking up three votes in the AP Top 25 Poll on Jan. 14, 2008. The Flyers also received one vote in the Jan. 7, 2008 AP poll.
• The first time in modern history the Flyers ever received votes in a national poll was Dec. 24, 2007 when they received five votes in the AP Top 25.